cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H-REAP with local switching at multiple remote sites

JUSTIN LOUCKS
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing some testing with H-REAP for deploying 1-2 APs at remote offices to allow for centrally managed wireless across the board. I have one AP up and running in a lab right now but it generated a question for me. Can I use a common SSID at all sites with H-REAP and local switching? I guess my concern is with the need for a virtual interface definition for each remote site and the possibility of needing to tie the SSID to that interface. I do have a working SSID tied generically to the management interface right now and it works but I don't know if it should be that way. I'm just hoping that I don't have to maintain a unique SSID for each site to properly tie it back to a virtual interface on the controller.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No you don't. When you go to configure the AP you will just define which VLAN number you want the traffic for that WLAN to dump to.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Sure, you can have a H-REAP WLAN spread over multiple sites. You just need to define which WLAN the AP will be dumping the traffic to locally for that site.

Thanks. Do I even need an interface on the controller for each site's layer 3 gateway that the AP uses or am I overcomplicating things? I've read so many different documents and examples on H-REAP now that I think I've confused myself. I guess in summary, can I just point my SSID to the management interface of the controller and make sure the SSID is mapped to the appropraite VLAN on the AP definition in the controller?

No you don't. When you go to configure the AP you will just define which VLAN number you want the traffic for that WLAN to dump to.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card