cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mikrotik wireless AP's with 3750g switch

shawn1966
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to add a Mikrotik RB411a to my network as a wireless access point. When I plug it into the Catalyst 3750g switch, the switch blocks traffic to the MT. I talked to the company that set up the network, and they told me that only Cisco wireless AP's could be used. Is that true?

14 Replies 14

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

Well, that's not true.

What is the RB411, a card in a motherboard or an actuall Access-Point?

Does it require power (PoE) from the switch?

When you say " switch blocks traffic to the MT" what do you mean, please explain further...

It is a radio card on a small motherboard. It has its own POE, which I'm using (or it can optionally use a plug in adapter).

By "block traffic" I mean that I can't ping it, ssh to it, telnet to it, or see it with WinBox (the Mikrotik administration software) when on the wired network. Clients can connect to the wireless side, but can't see past the AP.

The port on the Cisco switch gives an error and disables itself. Sorry, I don't have the actual error in front of me. I did some reading today and I think that there is some sort of port security. I'm just not a Cisco guy and wanted to investigate the claim that there was some sort of incompatibility and "it just plain wouldn't work." I believe that it is a configuration issue in the Cisco.

Would you agree?

Thanks!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the configuration of the switch port you are trying to connect the RB411 to? I also would like to see the configuration of the uplink ports.

I've worked in the network industry since 2000 and everytime there's a problem, networks cops the blame. My computer monitor is not working - blame networks. The elevator is stuck - blame networks. My wife just left me - yup, networks.

[EDIT: Apologize for anyone offended by the last comment.]

Didn't you get the memo: It's called "guilty until proven innocent". :D

And then the network peeps turn around and "shoot the messenger", claiming the "router down" alert received 10 mins ago was a bogus alarm, because the router is now pingable 10 mins later.

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Maybe they were referring to some STP incompatibility between Cisco and Mikrotik, such as ones like this?

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?=&p=65119

shawn1966
Level 1
Level 1

sorry if this is on here twice... I tried to attach before but I don't see it on the thread..

shawn1966
Level 1
Level 1

when the MT is plugged in, I get at "port is error-disabled" message

shawn1966
Level 1
Level 1

I think I was able to turn off port security like this:

config t

int Gi1/0/30 (I'm working on port 30)

no switchport port-security

end

But the port is still disabled.

I'm trying to re-enable it using

set port Gi1/0/30 enable

but I get

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(erring at port)

if I do a set ? "port" is not an option

how can I re-enable the port on a 3750?

shawn1966
Level 1
Level 1

one other tidbit:

I downloaded the Cisco Network Assistant, and I got a more complete error:

ethernet link err-disabled

unexpected bpdu received

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the configuration of the switch port you are trying to connect the RB411 to? I also would like to see the configuration of the uplink ports.

Is BPDU Guard enabled globally or at the interface level?

it seems that the port goes in err-disabled due to detection of a BPDU packet. I assume that the port is configured for spanning-tree portfast. This is an end-host port featutre to bring the port up and running as quick a possible. If there is another network device attached at such a port (which is expected to be an end-host port) and BPDU packets are detected the port will be shutdown to prevent a possible loop.

Remove the "spanning-tree portfast" feature from that port and enable it again with "no shutdown"

Issue the following commands:

conf t

inter gi 1/0/30

no spanning-tree portfast

no shutdown

end

write mem

(the last command is to make these changes permanent accross reboots)

to see the syslog messages when you are on the device do a:

show logging

I posted it about 4 or 5 messages back... it's the only post on this thread with an attachment.

Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't seen this post. But according to this config, try what I wrote in my last mail and see if the port comes up and stays online.

thanks, I'll give it a try and post back here

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: