Got a new box today, and thought I would try out the TSW. After about 75% I got an error stating;
Exception occurred:com.cisco.cpnm.frmwrk.gen.wd.WDDeviceException: com.cisco.cp.engine.exception.DatabaseException: Persisting the IncomingDialPlan object of the create command in Database failed
I clicked OK and the Wizard stopped at 99%, I x'ed the window after about half an hour after it stopped on 99%. I then checked the configuration, and I had to change some of it manually, no big deal.
The one thing I noticed is that the error I got from the TSW @ 75% was related to the incoming dialplan. This was both for the user extension and the unassigned numbers routed towards the AA. I tried to make the changes manually (i still used CCA, but after the TSW finished") and I still got some errors.
I've attached the debugs I got from CCA.
This is a 8-user model with softwarepack 7.0.3. I used CCA 2.0.(1)
Don't use TSW. We avoid it like a [you can fill in an inappropriate statement]. We had a similar thing happen with CCA 2.0, and we ended up resetting the config back to default to correct all the errors.
Sorry can't be more help then that, but we simply have learned to use CCA 2, CUE GUI and CLI to build the configuration the way we want. It is obvious that CCA is not the only solution. Even the Cisco lab demo requires CLI to get the "THE OFFICE" demo to work.