cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What version of WCS should I be running If I plan to upgrade my controllers

manriquej
Level 1
Level 1

Per Cisco Security Advisory ID: cisco-sa-20090727-wlc there appears to a lot of security vulnerabilities. It is recommending that upgrade my controllers to 4.2.207.0 which I have no problems in doing.

Question: Would I also need to upgrade my WCS software (firmware) as well; seeing as though the controller software will be a much newer version?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

4.2.207.0 got released 4 days ago. There is actually no WCS version that was released after this, so there is no actual WCS version that will work 100% with this newer controller version.

If you must upgrade your controller to 4.2.207.0 you can do so, but you will loose managing ability from WCS until there is a new Maintenance Release of 4.2.x, 5.2.x or 6.0.x.

I suggest that you wait if the security advisory is not applicable to your environment.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

4.2.207.0 got released 4 days ago. There is actually no WCS version that was released after this, so there is no actual WCS version that will work 100% with this newer controller version.

If you must upgrade your controller to 4.2.207.0 you can do so, but you will loose managing ability from WCS until there is a new Maintenance Release of 4.2.x, 5.2.x or 6.0.x.

I suggest that you wait if the security advisory is not applicable to your environment.

Thanks so much Lucien for the quick turnaround and easy explanation. I will wait then.

thanks...

Jorge

Actually, if you read the 4.2.207.0 release notes, you will see the following:

Note Only Cisco WCS 4.2.128.0, 5.2, and 6.0 support controllers running software release 4.2.207.0.

manriquej
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lucien.

In the Cisco security advisory ID: cisco-sa-20090727-wlc there is a matrix or a table that says "first fixed version" and "Recommended Release" For the First fixed version it is recommending 4.2.205 ane the recommended release it me to install 4.2.207.

This is a bit confusing for me. does this mean if I currently have version 4.2.205 installed on my WLC's I shouldn't have anything to worry about???

I checked the bug listed on the advisory, you are fine with 4.2.205.0. Those bugs are fixed in that version you have.

I dont know why they have a different recommended version, probably to encourage users to upgrade for other bug fixes.

That's Great!!!

thanks for your help. This beats creating a tac case any day...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card