Sub interface.

thinakraj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

#int s0/0.1

and

#int s0/0:1

What is the different's in this above command.

it is possible to create a sum int with "." & ":" in router's and switches.?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The first command is subinterface .1 from serial 0/0.

The second command is the main interface from a modular router on slot 0 module 1.

I don't understand your second question.

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

Are you sure about that second command? I believe that the second command using colons like "s0/0:1" is used to describe individual channel groups on an ISDN PRI (T1/E1) interface. Even on modular Cisco devices with multiple shelves and slots, the physical interface naming uses only slashes. The dot character designates subinterfaces, the colon character designates channel groups. The following URL contains slightly more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/interface/configuration/guide/ir_cfg_ser_if_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

As to the second question - it was probably meant to ask if there is a possibility to designate multiple interfaces on a single line in a fashion similar to the "interface range" command. As far as I know, routers may support the "interface range" command but it is not usable for every interfaces and its support may vary from model to model.

Best regards,

Peter

channel-group - that's it. thanks for the assist.

Hi thank you very much for your help. :)

hi Peter,

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: