cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750E TD-S or TD-E for eigrp routing

benny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to run EIGRP. In the beginning, we will just do EIGRP stub routing, so 3750E TD-S is good for us, but later we may reuse the same switch to do full EIGRP routing. My question is if we buy a 3750E-TD-S now, can we upgrade it to 3750E-TD-E for the full EIGRP routing function? Will a software IOS upgrade do that?

Thanks.

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Believe the answer is yes.

Thanks.

But I have colleagues tried that before, but didn't work. They said it seems to be hardware dependent.. even if they downloaded the IOS for 3750E-TD-E switch, when doing 'show version', it still showed as 'IP-Based' and only eigrp-stub routing is avilable, so I would like to confirm if that is the case, that a 3750E-TD-S cannot be upgraded to a 3750E-TD-E just by a IOS upgrade. I want to confirm that before we make the purchase. Thanks.

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ben,

You can upgrade to the Enhanced image, since the 3750E-TD-S is the standard image. You will have to purchase the Enhanced image PAK from your reseller since the 3750E will require a license file.

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

So even if we can download the Enhanced image, we still need to buy a license in order to activate the full eigrp routing function?

Thanks!

Ben

Hi Ben,

That is correct, the new 3750E image is called the Universal image, and software features are activated by license key.

Here is the license example

Switch#sh license all

License Store: Primary License Storage

StoreIndex: 1 Feature: advipservices Version: 1.0

License Type: Permanent

License State: Active, Not in Use

License Priority: Medium

HTH,

jerry

Jerry,

Thanks a lot for your quick response!

License Store: Primary License Storage

StoreIndex: 0 Feature: ipbase Version: 1.0

License Type: Permanent

License State: Active, In Use

License Priority: Medium

License Count: Non-Counted

License Store: Evaluation License Storage

StoreIndex: 0 Feature: ipservices Version: 1.0

License Type: Evaluation

License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted

Evaluation total period: 8 weeks 4 days

Evaluation period left: 8 weeks 4 days

License Priority: None

License Count: Non-Counted

This is a capture from my colleague's 3750E, it shows that there is an evaluation 'ipservice' license for 8 weeks. Does it mean we can somehow enable the 'ipservice license' for 8 weeks for testing?

If yes, how do we enable that?

Thanks!

Ben

Hi Ben,

I believe you can use the command license boot

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_46_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp8991321

I cannot verify it in my lab switch.

Here is a link of the license activation commands and procedures

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_commands.html#wpxref81295

HTH,

jerry

Thanks very much Jerry for your help!

Ben

You are welcome Ben.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: