Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge-Group Interface and HSRP

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have a case where there are 2 ASA Firewalls, 2 Switches, and 2 Routers... The routers are connected to the WAN.

I need to connect the 2 Routers to the 2 switches in full-mesh topology and all will be part of the same subnet. However, I also would like to configure HSRP between the 2 Routers for redundancy.

Of course I need to configure Bridge Virtual interfaces on each router on the 2 router interfaces connected to each switch.

My question is, would HSRP work if I configure it on the BVI interface on each router. Example is:

R1:

interface BVI 1

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

standby 10 ip 10.10.10.254

standby 10 preempt

standby priority 110

R2:

interface BVI 1

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

standby 10 ip 10.10.10.254

Please confirm or advise how can I achieve redundancy on the interface and chassis levels on my case here?

Regards,

Haitham

3 Replies 3

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes it's supported.

Now how the other devices are connected to the switches ? If only the routers are dual attached, you could have one subnet per switch and avoid the BVI configuration.

HTH

Laurent.

Hi,

Thanks for your confirmation.

Why are you recommending avoiding BVI configuration is it about complexity or is there any limitation in BVI?

Regards,

Haitham

It's not a question of limitation. It's just I prefer HSRP over STP for link failure detection ;-)

HTH

Laurent.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card