Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I reboot a IPS sensor.

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

On our Ciso ASA we have the ASA-SSM-10 IPS module. It seem sto be in a state and the Cisco IPS Manager Express says it's not connected anymore. If I SSH/Telnet to it then I get the message:

Error: Cannot communicate with mainApp (getVersion). Please contact your system administrator.

Would you like to run cidDump?[no]:

15 Replies 15

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From the ASA CLI see if you can get to it. The command is session 1. If you encounter any problems, you'll probably have to bounce it. It looks like you can reload the module with he following command(s).

FW# hw-module module 1 ?

password-reset Reset the CLI password on the module

recover Configure recovery of this module

reload Reload the module

reset Reset the module

shutdown Shut down the module

Hope that helps

Thanks, I get the same issue, I guess I need to reboot the ASA 5520 :(

You can just reload the IPS module with the commands I posted above.

Thing is it throws me out after :

Error: Cannot communicate with mainApp (getVersion). Please contact your system administrator.

So I don't get a command prmt to do this.

You do it from the ASA!

I am!

I'm confused. I thought you had access to the ASA and everything is working fine, but the IPS module was not responding properly. Is that correct?

I logon on the ASA via the CLI, then enter seesion 1 and enter the username and password for the IPS module, it then freezes for about a minute and I get the prompt:

I type "no" and it bombs me out to my desktop. I'm tried using the ASDM and Cisco IPS Manager Express, but they can't connct via it's IP although I can ping it.

I can SSH to the module, but again I get the above prompt and same scenario.

Hope that helps.

Can you login into the ASA CLI (the firewall portion) and enter

hw-module module 1 reload

Great that worked a treat!

Glad we got it straightened out. Thanks for the points too.

One thing I do notice about that command is it also reboots the ASA. We have 2 ASA in failover mode and I notice the other ASA becomes the active ASA, is this correct?

not true,

the above command only reloads the ips module.however,for failover to work,both units should have same hardware.when ips module in ur active unit is reloading,at that time,standby asa treats this as a failure on active unit and becomes the active .that is why failover occured when u reloaded the module on active.

resolution is to disable failover,reload the ips..when it comes back up,enable the failover again

hTh

Sushil

Thanks for explaining this.

I didn't setup the failover, how would I disable this first?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card