How to get Caller Line ID on DID Lines: UC520 & VIC3-4FXS/DID Card?

Unanswered Question
Jul 29th, 2009

Hi All,

Finally got our UC520 with VIC3-4FXS/DID interface card up and running, but stuck on one thing. The phone handsets are displaying "external call" rather than incoming caller ID.  Any idea on how to configure the system to display incoming caller ID?  We are using DID lines from the local carrier here in Hong Kong, PCCW, connected to the DID ports on the VIC3 card.  I noticed that the option for caller ID is greyed out in the 'voice' section in CCA. I'm assuming that it is not possible to configure the Caller ID using CCA, but is it possible to do it in the web interface, rather than having to resort to CLI?

Thanks,

Jonathan

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Svec Wed, 07/29/2009 - 08:21

Hi, I am not sure about HK, but in N. America caller ID is not offered with analog DID lines.  It is not that it is technically impossible, but it just isn't done for some reason (probably because of the types of common CO switches in N. America).

Marcos Hernandez Wed, 07/29/2009 - 10:31

The caller ID option you are talking about in CCA is for outbound caller id. Outbound calls are not supported on analog DID trunks, therefore the feature is disabled in CCA. Caller ID is NOT supported for analog DID VICs.

Thanks,

Marcos

jonathanlamm Thu, 07/30/2009 - 04:35

Hi Marcos,

So you are saying that it is impossible to get incoming caller ID from the DID lines?  This seems very strange.  Surely it is a pretty common requirement these days to have DID from a reserved number range and for people to want the system to display the incoming caller IDs? Why would anyone not want incoming caller ID?

My client is not going to be happy about this.  Any ideas on how I can get the functionality described above - i.e. DID with incoming caller ID by any other way - perhaps using different ports or different kinds of lines, etc?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 07/30/2009 - 05:47

It is not a Cisco limitation, but the nature of the DID signaling that is supported on these cards (very similar to analog E&M). Have you talked to your Telco? Have they told you they DO support sending Caller ID? If so, I would be interested to understand how they do it.

In the CAS implementation of E&M (digital E&M), there are ways in which this has been solved (EANA and FGD for example) that allow the receiving a sending of CLID with double winks. This is not available for the analog trunks, which again, use pretty much the same signaling analog DID does.

If your Telco supports DID on these trunks, that would be a first for me.

Thanks,

Marcos

Steven Smith Thu, 07/30/2009 - 07:21

If you want DID and Caller ID, you might want to look into SIP trunks, PRI, or BRI as well.

David Trad Wed, 07/29/2009 - 15:00

Hi Jonathan,

Just to be clear here, we are talking about FXS ports and not FXO ports right?

Cheers,

David.

jonathanlamm Wed, 07/29/2009 - 18:17

Hi David,

Yes - I am talking about getting incoming caller line ID from the incoming DID lines that are connected to the ports on the VIC3-4FXS/DID card.

Jonathan

David Trad Wed, 07/29/2009 - 23:59

Hi Jonathan,

I would realy love to help you on this one but your issue goes way over my head, i have never dealt with FXS/DID services before, in fact i didnt think they even existed anymore

Sorry i couldnt have been any help to you.

Cheers,

David.

Brandon Svec Thu, 07/30/2009 - 07:28

Ask you telco provider if they can provide *ANI*DNIS* on these lines for you.  I do not know if the UC520 will handle this, but I have implemented it on various other phone systems in the past.  Basically, it is just the caller ID being sent as DTMF before the DNIS that you already get.  Then it is up to the phone system to interpret it and put it on the phone display, attach to voicemail, etc.  Otherwise, go with SIP, BRI or PRI trunks.

Actions

This Discussion