cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding autonomous AP in WCS

vancamt76
Level 1
Level 1

I have come across this error before and I would like to know what causes this to happen. Here is the error:

"Failed to add device to WCS Reason: COMMON-1: Some unexpected internal error has occured. If the problem persists please report to the Tech Support."

I am trying to convert this AP to lightweight through WCS, but cannot get past adding it as autonomous in WCS.

5 Replies 5

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

I had this issue a few times... not too sure why it occurs, but I could solve it by:

- removing the autonomous AP from WCS (sometimes, it fails to be added, but you see it in your AP count).

- rebooting WCS

- making sure that both the SNMP communities and AP credentials were correct when adding the AP to the WCS...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are trying to ADD an Autonomous AP to WCS? I don't think you can do this. The WCS/WLC combo is for LWAP only.

Convert the aAP to LWAP and the WCS will "detect" the new LWAP via the WLC.

You can add autonomous AP to WCS, no problem with that, the management is limited though:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/4.2/configuration/guide/wcsAPcfg.html#wp1054826

Chapter: Viewing Autonomous Access Points in WCS

There are a few bugs in WCS, what version of WCS and what model and version of autonomous APare you running?

Lavramov,

We are running WCS version 4.2.62.0 and this is a 1242 AP. System image file is "flash:/c1240-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JDA3/c1240-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JD

A3"

The sad part is that this AP was shipped to Thailand as lightweight. When it arrived they were having problems and someone decided to convert it back to autonomous. I have run into this error before and could not find a resolution other than erasing the flash and starting over. It is a bit more difficult when the AP is in Thailand though.

William Maguire
Level 1
Level 1

I just ran into this issue and the solution was fairly simple in my case.  This AP was being redeployed.  We have a few hundred AP's in out network in a mix of CAPWAP and Autonomous.  This AP wqas never removed from the WCS.  I depeted it and readded and things went fine from there.  Its unfortunate that the error message is so vague.  "Mac already exists in database" would be so much more helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card