Helpful
Replies

QOS on MPLS

saquib.nawazz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

New@QOS

Looking for steps to configure QOS on MPLS.

VOICE is running on MPLS and need priority for VOICE to gurantee Quality

5 Replies 5

s.ganguly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Saquib,

I am assuming that you are on an SP environment.

The links posted by Laurent is very useful indeed. I see that he has very kindly included Santiago Alvarez's presentation. The same author has a book which I have found useful in the past :

"QoS for IP/MPLS Networks" By Santiago Alvarez.

In regards to your specific query about VoIP, very often voice traffic is given an Expedited Forwarding ( EF or DSCP decinal 46 ) in PHB to guarantee minimum latency . According to RFC 2598 packets marked as EF should be given queuing

preference so that they experience minimal latency, but "the packets should be policed to prevent

them from taking over a link and preventing any other types of traffic from exiting an interface

during periods when this high-priority traffic reaches or exceeds the interface bandwidth." ( quote from Cisco Press)

Let us know how it goes for you :-)

Cheers

santanu

Hi,

Thanks Ganguly & Laurent for the input.

I am kinda too new on this.

We connect our sales office to HeadQuater using Service Provider MPLS connection using BGP.

Edge Router 3800 series which connects to Service Provider and LAN needs fine tunning in terms of Quality of service to priorities Voice over Data. Voice Server and PBX is all Nortel.

Can I get steps how to priorities voice over data traffic on EDGE Router.

Thanks, This is extremely helpful.

Got some redistribution concern, wll post as a new msg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: