IVR Place Call and Originating Caller Hang UP

Unanswered Question
Jul 29th, 2009
User Badges:

Got a question for the board- Consider an originating caller calls into a script. They are promted and so forth, then comes to a place call step. That new call is fired off and the original caller is then hung up. Each call leg has it's own contact trigger.

I'm finding that because the IVR sees the original call drop, the newly placed call abandons.

Is there a way to place a call from the IVR so that the line supervision does not require a connection on the origination end?

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Jonathan Schulenberg Thu, 07/30/2009 - 02:24
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Yes; use the On Exception Goto step with the (ContactInactiveException) condition and the label where you want the script to return to. Note that immediately following this label you will need to add an On Exception Clear step or the script will continue to be caught on the exception and loop.

You do _not_ have the ability to join two contacts together. In light of that limitation, my recommendation is to terminate the first contact (or let the exception catch if they managed to hang up first) and then proceed to make the new call. This way you have consistent behavior for whomever the script called. As a side note it also consumes fewer IVR ports and system resources so it's a little more "optimized".

jimbrittcisco Thu, 07/30/2009 - 14:36
User Badges:

Thanks for the reply.

The exception step lets the script continue, but the place call is dead on arrival once answered. There's nothing for it to connect to on the far end. I had hoped to have the call legs from IVR to the answer point instead of Original caller to answer point via IVR.

I do terminate the first contact, then place the call. After that the script is mainly done and exits.

Jonathan Schulenberg Thu, 07/30/2009 - 16:04
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

I'm having a difficult time understanding your response. Can you provide a more detailed account of what you are attempting to accomplish?

Guessing at the dead air part: Anything you want to play to the second call leg established by the Place Call step must also be set to the same contact. This would NOT be the ---Triggering Contact--- value.

jimbrittcisco Fri, 07/31/2009 - 12:17
User Badges:

Well, I think this one is licked j.schulenberg. Thanks for your help.

When I reverse engineered the script, I realized the key was in the statement there was nothing for the place call to receive.

This is because I had not set any triggers for the place call after it connected. For my application I am routing calls through several ICM scripts and back and then to finally to a destination.

The lesson for other folks is; if you terminate a call contact in your script, you must exception handle but also instruct the IVR end how to behave though the use triggers.

Actions

This Discussion