cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where's my Ethernet0 Interface?

flexkikr11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I badly need help on this issue, here's the story, I upgraded my cisco IOS from v11.3-3 to v12.2-24 and for some reason the ethernet0 interface looks like disabled and won't show when issueing show ip interface brief even show version command like this:

R1#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-F-L), Version 12.2(24), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 28-Apr-04 14:16 by kellmill

Image text-base: 0x0303875C, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE

BOOTLDR: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

R1 uptime is 5 hours, 11 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:/c2500-f-l.122-24.bin"

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision F) with 8192K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 04795802, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software.

WARNING: No ISDN software support in this image.

2 Serial network interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102

R1#show ip interface brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

Serial0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Serial1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

R1#

this is my sh ver when was in ios 11.3-3:

Router_1#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 11.3(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 20-Apr-98 18:23 by phanguye

Image text-base: 0x03028CDC, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

BOOTFLASH: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router_1 uptime is 2 minutes

System restarted by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2500-i-l.113-3", booted via flash

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision N) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 08401737, with hardware revision 00000001

Bridging software.

Cisco 2503 Routers

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Serial network interface(s)

1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102

My questions are how can I get my ethernet0 back or showed up? Is there any commands to show it? or is it intentionally disabled in this ios vesion?

any input/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

Sorry for asking such a seemingly nitpicking question but are these outputs from the same device? The "show version" outputs differ in significant details, including the bootloader version, DRAM size, processor board ID and its hardware revision.

Moreover, where did you get that new IOS? I was trying to find it using the Feature Navigator but I was unable to find it. The last available version for the feature set you're using was 12.2(23).

Nevertheless, the feature set of your new IOS is the FRAD (Frame Relay Access Device). It is conceivable that the Ethernet support has been deliberately dropped from this IOS feature set. Your original IOS has the IP feature set feature set (as designated by the 'i' letter in the image name). I suggest you try to use a different IOS image.

Regarding your FLASH/DRAM limitations, the IOS that should fit into your router and should provide the functions that were available in the older image should be c2500-i-l.121-27b.bin (IP feature set). Try that one if possible and let us know if it helped.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Hi Paul,

You are most welcome. Please come back with any issues you might have.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

Sorry for asking such a seemingly nitpicking question but are these outputs from the same device? The "show version" outputs differ in significant details, including the bootloader version, DRAM size, processor board ID and its hardware revision.

Moreover, where did you get that new IOS? I was trying to find it using the Feature Navigator but I was unable to find it. The last available version for the feature set you're using was 12.2(23).

Nevertheless, the feature set of your new IOS is the FRAD (Frame Relay Access Device). It is conceivable that the Ethernet support has been deliberately dropped from this IOS feature set. Your original IOS has the IP feature set feature set (as designated by the 'i' letter in the image name). I suggest you try to use a different IOS image.

Regarding your FLASH/DRAM limitations, the IOS that should fit into your router and should provide the functions that were available in the older image should be c2500-i-l.121-27b.bin (IP feature set). Try that one if possible and let us know if it helped.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your lovely response in my topic and yeah it's ok to as some seemingly nitpicking questions as I'm learning and self studying towards CCNA at the moment. Well my other 2503 router which I purchased in EBAY had a bad flash memory what i did was I isolated the working parts and I'd put all the working ones in the other 2503 which has a 2mb shared memory. The faulty one has no built-in shared memory so that's why I've got different output.

I just copied the IOS of my mate's router who's self studying as well towadrds CCNA as I have got no access to download IOS's here at your website.

So that's why my e0 dropped for some reason because the version that I'm using now is FRAD. Alright that makes sense to me now.

Regarding on my Flash/DRAM is there any chance to just enable my e0 for me to access my tftp server so that i don't need to delete and install ios from the scratch? Would it be possible?

Thanking you in advance. Your a champion!

Cheers,

Hi Peter,

This has been solved by replacing the 12.2.24 by 12.1.27b the one that you posted earlier. Once again thank you very very much for your great input to my issue and that really so much appreciated.

Your the Man! All the best mate!

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

You are most welcome. Please come back with any issues you might have.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

You're quite right. The FRAD feature set was made exactly like that, i.e. it deliberately disabled the ethernet interface.

It was meant to be used as a cheap way of getting (as far as I remember) various async lines (think ATM machines etc.) connected to a Frame Relay entwork back in the days when FR was the big, hot way of doing WAN.

And yes, a 2500 router was relatively expensive in those days (pre Y2K).

Have a nice weekend.

Ingolf,

Thank you very much for enlightening me on this. Yeah, I can easily imagine the 2500 to be expensive. My first contact with Cisco gear was in Networking Academy sometime around 2002. The lab kits were based on 2500 series routers and 1900/2900XL series switches and it was difficult indeed for the academies to collect funds for buying the equipment. On the other hand, since those times, I have a "personal relationship" to the 2500 series and even in times of ISR routers, I actually like to sit in front of the 2500 and configure some things on it. A nostalgy? Perhaps... :)

Have a nice weekend, too!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco