cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assist with Cisco Catalyst products

karpitsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone! As you may notice, I am new to this networking deal. I am running Windows Vista and/or Windows 7 RC on my home PC. My question is, would you recommend buying something like this (see link below) to play around with? If so, would it be fully compatible with the new OS's? And lastly, what types of things could you do at home with 2 switches and 2 routers provided here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ150349330298

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Andrey

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, that's very old stuff to get. But with the price offering listed, its not a bad deal to get the same and start working on basic labs like,

Router on Stick( inter-vlan routing),

Basic routing protocol labs for RIPv1/v2, EIGRP, OSPF etc to understand how the protocol behaves.

You can also setup some basic security labs like ACL,s time-based ACL,s and other type of filtering.

-amit singh

I agree. I'm a Networking Major and so far all my classes were online so I have not had my hands on any actual networking equipment yet. Maybe there's something better someone would recommend? I want something that'll actually help me get a feel of the equipment and at the same time see how it affects my home network.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card