cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

duration of upgrade WLC with 75 AP

torex-hiscom
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to upgrade a 4404 WLC with 75 LWAPP's, from 5.1 to 5.2.193.

I read that after the WLC upgrade the AP's are automatically upgraded in groups of 10 and that the upgrade can last as long as 30 minutes. Does this mean some AP's are not functional for 30 minutes? Or do the AP's work while they still have the lower software version, and only are not functional during their own upgrade of about 3 minutes? And is there a way to choose these AP groups yourself? I can't find this in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Albert

2 Replies 2

(Assuming you have one controller) I think the AP's will go offline when you reboot the controller after the controller upgrade. The APs will not come back online until they have upgraded their firmware and re-joined the controller. On our last upgrade (controllers running 4.2, upgrading to a later rev of 4.2, we use 1242 AP's), it took about 5 minutes for a given AP to complete an upgrade. 2 controllers and ~250 AP's took less than an hour.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind if you have 2 or more controllers you can upgrade the failover controller first (which is likely empty) and move over the APs to the new switch on a planned basis to have a "more" controlled outage.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin