cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.x GSM moving users

jeff.singh_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi I used GSM to move a user from one server to another digitally networked server. Everything worked ok, I also had a backup of the system using Cobras from before I moved the user - is there anything to be gained from restoring the subscriber from the backup once the user has been moved. Cobras help file states that this is how it should be done, I'm just trying to gauge what will be restored that may have been lost during the user move using GSM ??

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

much to be gained. To the tune of about 240 properties.

GSM moves only top level subscriber data - it does not include notification devices/info for instance and much else.

GSM also takes a much cruder approach to resolving links from users being moved - it makes no effort to reestablish them, it just cauderizes everything with simple selections you make - which may be ok but for complex audio text sites this is not a good thing... and of course COBRAS gets objects GSM does not (call handlers, interview handlers, DL, schedules etc...).

GSM is faster because it doesn't do nearly as much - but it does for a sync on both sites of the fence instead of waiting for AD to replicate the changes around. Hence for Unity installs the best way to go about moving as much data as possible is move them with GSM and then restore over the new user with a COBRAS backup.

If you don't care about anything other than top level subscriber data then GSM is fine for you.

View solution in original post

awesome summary, thanks for the clarification!

The problem with just doing COBRAS is that you have to delete the user on the old box after taking a backup and then wait (and wait... and wait...) for the AD replication of that deletion to propogate through AD and then get picked up by the new server which will then allow you to import the user onto the new box.

GSM forces the delete/sync/add in one step - which is considerably quicker of course.

But technically you can just use COBRAS if the directory sync is not an issue for you.

7 Replies 7

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think GSM is way easier and faster to move a Subscriber than Cobras. GSM links to the SQL databases and moves all information to/from the unity servers. Cobras does pretty much also, but it will take longer to do.

There is nothing to be gained as far as I can tell.

much to be gained. To the tune of about 240 properties.

GSM moves only top level subscriber data - it does not include notification devices/info for instance and much else.

GSM also takes a much cruder approach to resolving links from users being moved - it makes no effort to reestablish them, it just cauderizes everything with simple selections you make - which may be ok but for complex audio text sites this is not a good thing... and of course COBRAS gets objects GSM does not (call handlers, interview handlers, DL, schedules etc...).

GSM is faster because it doesn't do nearly as much - but it does for a sync on both sites of the fence instead of waiting for AD to replicate the changes around. Hence for Unity installs the best way to go about moving as much data as possible is move them with GSM and then restore over the new user with a COBRAS backup.

If you don't care about anything other than top level subscriber data then GSM is fine for you.

awesome summary, thanks for the clarification!

Thank you so much Tommer and mr Lindborg for your comments - very useful.I must admit GSM was much easier but I see the reasoning behind using Cobras.

Mr Lindborg and Tommer (and of course anyone else),

is Cobras by itself adequate for moving the users, the help file states use GSM and then Cobras - what does GSM do that Cobras can't , is just using Cobras sufficient ?

The problem with just doing COBRAS is that you have to delete the user on the old box after taking a backup and then wait (and wait... and wait...) for the AD replication of that deletion to propogate through AD and then get picked up by the new server which will then allow you to import the user onto the new box.

GSM forces the delete/sync/add in one step - which is considerably quicker of course.

But technically you can just use COBRAS if the directory sync is not an issue for you.

thank you so much sir,...J

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: