cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN problem

alanchia2000
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches. One core switch and another access switch which both I am trying to monitor the traffic using the following statements.

Core sw __Gi1/0/5_ Access switch

|_________Gi1/0/3_ Monitoring console

|_________Gi1/0/1_ PC

! On the core switch

monitor session 1 source remote vlan 999

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi1/0/3

monitor session 2 source interface Gi1/0/1 rx

monitor session 2 destination remote vlan 999

I can monitor the access switch, the problem is that Gi1/0/1 which is local to the core switch gives me nothing when I monitor it.

! This 2 statements doesn't seem to work for me.

monitor session 2 source interface Gi1/0/1 rx

monitor session 2 destination remote vlan 999

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mun,

it is unclear what you are trying to do.

vlan 999 is a remote span vlan and allows you to capture traffic on access layer switch to carry it inside vlan 999 over a trunk port to core switch and to deliver it on port g1/0/3.

then you have a second session with source g1/0/1.

if you want to have on g1/0/3 traffic from both vlan999 and port g1/0/1 you should try:

use a single monitor session with two sources and one destination

In other words if you put traffic on vlan999 you are sending it to access layer switch not to port g1/0/3.

I understand you think access switch could reflect it to core switch but this is not happening I guess.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for explaining the concept for the 2nd session.

What you mentioned is what my intentions are. The problem is I am using Cisco 3750 and "use a single monitor session with two sources and one destination" is not allowing me to do that. I can have only 1 of the source running on switch.

Regards,

Alan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card