UPS for NSS3000

Unanswered Question
Jul 31st, 2009
User Badges:

Hi,

I have a NSS3000 and I want to connect it to a UPS system. I was reading the NSS3000 data sheet and I found this in the PORTS row:

3 AUX ports (supports USB flash disk for configuration backup only)

1 UPS-USB port (APC Smart-UPS only)

So, just to be sure, this mean that the NSS3000 only support any UPS from APC (American Power Conversion)?, beacause I was thinking in an UPS from Tripp-Lite: http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=665&EID=13901&txtModelID=3949 I liked the specs, actually it has a CISCO COMPATIBLE Logo, but after I read the NSS3000 DataSheet I got a little confused with this. Obviusly

Or what UPS do you recommend for the NSS3000?? ( I would use the UPS only for the NSS3000) keeping in mind that I want the NSS to get a signal from the UPS when there is not power, and start the automatic turn off.

Like I Said, any help will be appreciated.... Thank You....

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
clindoan Fri, 07/31/2009 - 00:52
User Badges:

You are correct. APC is a good choice and it is working fine with my NSS3000 unit.  Make sure you connected to the correct port which is on the back of the unit (port # 1).

oliver2984 Fri, 07/31/2009 - 02:53
User Badges:

Thank You Clindoan... And that is exactly what I'm trying to know, if APC is actually a CHOICE of UPS for the NSS3000, or the Storage System MUST have an APC UPS brand. It would be very cool if by any chance you could see the link of the Trip-Lite UPS that I attached in the first message, because I'm not sure if that Trip-Lite UPS is compatible with the NSS3000... or should I better start to looking for an APC UPS?...

Thanks...

oliver2984 Fri, 07/31/2009 - 22:52
User Badges:

Thank You Clindoan... And that is exactly what I'm trying to know, if APC is actually a CHOICE of UPS for the NSS3000, or the Storage System MUST have an APC UPS brand. It would be very cool if by any chance you could see the link of the Trip-Lite UPS that I attached in the first message, because I'm not sure if that Trip-Lite UPS is compatible with the NSS3000... or should I better start to looking for an APC UPS?...

Thanks...

Alejandro Gallego Sat, 08/01/2009 - 05:08
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Oliver, as far as supporting the NSS power the TrippLite should with no issues. What I am not sure about (as i have not used a Tripp Lite) is if the unit will talk with the NSS and be able to shut it down gracefully should a power outage occur. The USB port on the NSS is meant for a APC unit to plugged in and no other configuration needed on the NSS; just enabling UPS support. From the NSS web UI navigate to Status > Power > then click on the question mark on the top right corner of the page. you will find a link at the bottom of the help page with all the supported APC devices.

In short stick with the APC ups units and you will be better off.

abersven Sat, 06/12/2010 - 16:26
User Badges:

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} I have now tested NSS3000 with a TrippLite UPS and verified that it does not communicate with the NSS3000.
So APC is the choice when it comes to UPS for the NSS3000.
BigBilly2010 Mon, 06/14/2010 - 08:22
User Badges:

Your best bet is to definitely go with an APC unit. If you want proper reliable data center protection you should go with a minimum of a APC Smart-UPS 750VA LCD 120V. The NSS3000 uses about 60W when it's fully loaded, so on the SMT750 you'd have a run time of 60 minutes. The important thing is that the unit offers a sine wave output, avr boost/drop and power filtering. You can definitely get away with using a smaller unit or a standby unit that doesn't offer as much protection, but it all depends on how important your data is to you. Of course, budget makes a huge difference as well.

faragopeter Tue, 06/14/2011 - 18:32
User Badges:

Billy Bob -

Want to thank you for your advice regarding the ASP Smart-UPS 750. Delivered from Amazon overnight - simple - efficient - inexpensive, shows runtime of 1:29.

Very happy with this device - my NSS 326 is only drawing 18% load from it. And, it's quiet, no fan noise as was reported by Smart-UPS 1000 users

Appreciate your taking the time to help and your fine council.

Peter

EugeneD12 Wed, 06/23/2010 - 07:49
User Badges:

I am using a Back-Ups ES-750 APC UPS. The data port on the APC is connected to the UPS port at the back of the NSS3000.

I have enabled UPS support by checking in System - Power browser menu. The screen shows the battery status is 100%. AC Status is ONLINE.

The ADMIN log lists  " No UPS Communications", multiple entries throughout the day. I get emails from the system ocassionaly notifying me that "The last NAS shutdown was not clean"

I suspected that the APC interface was suspect. I contacted APC and they reassured me that the Back-UPs ES-750 communication to the NSS3000 was the same as the Back-UPs ES/Cyberfort and that it was the same as any of the other APC UPSs listed in the3 NSS3000 manual. And that purchasing a different APC Ups from the recommended list would not yield different results. Specifically because all interfaces worked the same way. APC stated that the ES-750 emits a data stream that APC software loaded on a PC would log and display backup status information. Because the NSS3000 is a Linux box, APC could not vouch that the NSS3000 was reading their proprietary data stream correctly.

Does the user of the Smart-Ups 750VA (SMT750) get the same status information in the Admin log? "No UPS Communications" ?

Is your connection different from my hookup above?

Will a syslog log contain more data concerning the UPS operation?

Your assistance is appreciated!

Eugene

Actions

This Discussion