Views
Helpful
Replies

Policing on catalyst 6509

cannone78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I'd like to configure policing on a catalyst 6509 (sup32 pfc3 IOS 12.2SXF Adv IP Serv) on the following interface:

WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6148A-GE-TX.

I've used MQC: class-map with command police or police-aggregate..but when I've tried to apply it on the interface it says that 'MQC is not supported on this interface'.

The interface is configure as L2 in access on a specified vlan.

The command rate-limit is not supported too..

Any suggestion?

Many thanks in advance for your support

7 Replies 7

pxrondin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

MQC is not supported on ethernet interfaces whose QOS behavior is managed by the PFC. Go the the QOS chapter and you will find different ways to configure QOS feature which depend of the PFC

Regards

Hi,

MQC is not supported ok!

But I'm tring to do policing...and according to the QOS chapter it's supported on egress and ingress.

Can the PFC3 be the problem?

In the doc there is only pfc3A pfc3B and pfc3BXL..

Thanks again

I've solved the issue:

The PFC3 provides egress PFC QoS only for Layer 3-switched and routed traffic on egress Layer 3

interfaces (either LAN ports configured as Layer 3 interfaces or VLAN interfaces).

Since I've the a PFC3 with Layer 2 switched traffic..I can't apply pfc qos!

Is it ok?

Thanks

You can apply QOS policies either layer 2 or layer 3 interfaces.

see the followinh URL :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1679436

I don't know in detail what you want to , but I expext this URL will give you the answer

Thanks a lot for the URL.

As I've written in the previous post, even in your doc there is the answer I've just found:

The PFC3 provides egress PFC QoS only for Layer 3-switched and routed traffic on egress Layer 3 interfaces (either LAN ports configured as Layer 3 interfaces or VLAN interfaces).

So I need a PFC3x to make egress policing...on my L2 interface.

Thanks again

Gianluca

In the doc, it is said that you can apply a policer to a port-chanel(it is not told level 2 or 3)So you can try to define a port chanel interface with only one interface in it (the one on witch you want to have the policing action)

Regards

If a policer doesn't work you can perhaps try this behavior(it is just an idea).

You classify your output traffic so you map the traffic you want to police in a specific queue. You tune the bandwidth of this queue so that you permit only the bandwidth you want to allocate to this traffic.After the traffic will be dropped.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco