cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to upgrade Unity 4.2 to Unity 7 - Fails MS 281642

tony.hanson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm upgrading Unity 4.2 to 7 and when I start the upgrade it stops and I get the following error message:

"The name of this server was changed using a method that is no longer

supported because of problems with SQL Server 2000. (For more

information, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 281642). Before

you can continue with the Cisco unity upgrade, you must rename the

server again again using the currently supported procedure, which

appears in the :Renaming a Cisco Unity Server ir Moving a Cisco Unity

Server to another domain" Chapter

I've already went into the SQL DB and verifed the that in the table there is the parameter @PrimaryServer with the value of the current server name. I never renamed the server.

Any ideas, it states that I need to DIRT backup and reinstall Unity again.

6 Replies 6

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

quite possibly someone has rebuilt this Unity server in the past and there is another name for it tucked away in the database. I have not heard of this before. I did a Unity 4.2 upgrade to 7 this past week and all went fine.

My only guess is that the Unity server had a name change or ? Is the server name different from the server listed in the SQL db? May want to also check with TAC on this.

That would stink if you had to DIRT backup 4.2, reload Unity to 4.2 then run the upgrade.

I'd open a TAC case to confirm if there is anything you can do prior.

Also, does this Unity 4.2 box have the ES releases on it listed here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/632/fn63217.html

vikasgupta2k
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue, just wanted to check if there is any resolution.

Thanks

I would open a TAC case here.  Technically, there was a bug on this noted when moving from Unity 4x to 5x.  The details are here:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsj92828

However, the resolution points to the steps for moving a server to a new domain which is where the DiRT portion comes in.  You cannot simply move Unity to another AD domain so it basically requires a rebuild the Unity server. 

In your case, I'd run thru the steps noted in the Cisco bug article and then touch base with TAC to verify next steps here.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for the reply, it is very helpful. In my scenario, select @@servername

gives me the wrong name (which does not match the Netbios name of the server).

The SQL query select Value from UnitySetupParameters where name=N'

@PrimaryServer' gives me the correct name matching the Netbios name. Any other ideas which I can use without wiping out the whole server from scratch.

Thanks

Hmm, I would be very suspicious.  Sounds like this server may have been reconfigured improperly and you may be the one dealing with the dirty laundry.  Unfortunately with Unity, a lot of the paths lead to rebuild...but that's why I'd recommend you get a TAC case going and let them walk you thru all of the scenarios.  That may be the best way to TRY and avoid a rebuild.

Are you doing the upgrade on the same box or do you have access to a new server for the upgrade and a subsequent migration of data?

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

I'm doing the upgarde on the same box and also opened a TAC case, looks like heading towards wiping off the

whole system and reinstalling everything again. Thanks for your help.

Vikas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: