Unanswered Question
Jul 31st, 2009

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about different platforms within the Catalyst 4900 family with Cisco experts Kenny Lei and Justin Jones. Kenny is a Technical Marketing Engineer in the Campus Switching System Technology Group at Cisco, focusing on data center systems, mainly the Cisco Catalyst 4948 and Cisco Catalyst 4900M platforms. He has been at Cisco since 1997 and has worked in hardware development, software development. and marketing. He holds a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering and computer sciences from the University of California, Berkeley. Justin is a Catalyst Product Manager in CSSTG at Cisco Systems. He has over 10 years of experience in Product management with the majority of time focused in Datacenter. Justin has worked in 3 of the 4 key areas in datacenter including Servers, Storage, and networking. He joined Cisco in 2003. He holds a bachelor's degree in computer science, and a master's degree in business administration from Santa Clara University

Remember to use the rating system to let Kenny and Justin know if you have received an adequate response.

Kenny and Justin might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 14, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.7 (3 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 07/31/2009 - 17:37

I don't know if this is the right forum, my question is what corresponding supervisor engines, for the 4500, the ME4924 and the 4900M correspond to? Is this the SupV?

jusjones Mon, 08/03/2009 - 06:39

ME4924-10GE is based off of the Sup V-10GE

The Cat4900M is based off of the Sup 6E

alexchow_ctl Sat, 08/01/2009 - 11:27

Currently I'm facing some network troubleshooting difficulties. Currently I'm connecting 2 units of Cisco switches to a few controllers from Yokogawa DCS (Distributed Control System - Saety System). The usage is to transmit their safety system data monitoring/controlling via Yokogawa's proprietary protocol called VNET IP (

Yokogawa controller each has 2 cards and each individual card has 2 ports. Yokogawa redundant system consist of 2 BUS lines - BUS1 and BUS2 (both with different IPs). BUS1 will act as primary link and BUS2 as redundant link (in case on one controller's is down, another one will take over).

The problem is there's some problems on the network status of the overall Yokogawa's data flow as from time to time (non-periodical and inconsistent time frame), there'll be some data loss due to CRC errors increment. I've gone thorough the link (,_or_FCS_errors_and_runts_increment_in_the_show_port_command_output_on_a_CatOS_based_switch_due_to_a_duplex_mismatch ) and tried all the suggested solutions, but the result still persists.

Can you please help to advise what might be the possible cause of the problems, what else can I do to troubleshoot?

klei Mon, 08/03/2009 - 08:41

Looks likely you might have an issue with the physical layer. Check the cables and connections. Please open a case with Cisco TAC, and they are the experts in helping you with troubleshooting.

Collin Clark Mon, 08/03/2009 - 12:13

We are considering deploying 4948s in the data center and was wondering what the life expectancy (EoS/EoL) is compare to the 3750's. Thank you for your time.

jusjones Tue, 08/04/2009 - 07:18

There are no plans to EOS or EOL the Cat4948 or Cat4948-10GE. The top of rack datacenter access market is predominantly 100/1000MbE today and most analyst forecast 1Gig will remain dominant for the next 2-3 years. The Cat4948 is Cisco's premiere ToR 1GbE datacenter switch. Features like dual power supplies and non blocking ports set this platform apart from other 1RU 48 port switches.

svermill Thu, 08/06/2009 - 06:39

Looking forward to the (not-so-distant) point in time where the datacenter access layer is predominantly 10GE, what can you tell me about Cisco's vision for 10GE aggregation? Obviously we won't be deploying 6500/7600s at the top of rack to provide 40/100GE uplinks, so will we begin to see solutions in the 4900 series or do we look elsewhere in the product line? I have large clients looking to the future who are beginning to ask such questions. The datacenters of 2012 to 2014 are being planned and budgeted for today.

Thanks much,

svermill Thu, 08/06/2009 - 08:31

And I should just clarify a little here since I used the datacenter to frame the original question (in retrospect a poor choice). Setting aside the whole "unified fabric" concept for the moment, and assuming that we just need relatively low-density 10GE aggregation, will we see anything in the 4900 series down the line or will this strictly be the domain of the Nexus series?

jusjones Thu, 08/06/2009 - 13:18

For low density 10GE server aggregation you can use the 4900M now. For greater density you can use the Nexus 7k with 10GE line cards as an end of row with high scalability. We will continue to develop 10GE oriented products in both the 4900 and 7k product lines.

This Discussion