cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 problem (ARP request collision)

vronp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Has anyone seen anything error message similar to this:

4 Jul 31 2009 20:37:13 405001 Received ARP request collision from 192.168.1.108/0013.02b3.024e on interface inside

This is happening with a specific laptop (Vista) that I bring home from work. An IP address does get assigned to the laptop from the 5505 but the 5505 will not allow Internet traffice, only local.

The 5505 seems to be functioning normally otherwise but this particular problem has been driving me crazy for weeks.

If I reboot the 5505, the problem goes away for a while.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on here?

thanks,

Dave

4 Replies 4

vronp
Level 1
Level 1

More information.

This only happens when this particular laptop is hitting a wireless access point here. When I hard wire the laptop, no problems.

Hi,

This message means that there is an IP address conflict. Two devices are using the same IP address 192.168.1.108.

There could be a few reasons for this. Either you have another IP device on your LAN (another laptop, a gaming console, IP phone...) that has a static IP configured with 192.168.1.108.

Another less likely reason would be that you have a second DHCP server on your network which has the same IP address.

Take another look at the logs, you should find messages about ARP request collision from 192.168.1.108 for two different MAC addresses. If you look at the MAC address on your laptop (by typing ipconfig /all in a command line), you can identify the MAC address of the other device.

Then you can look at this page to find the manufacturer by MAC address (enter 6 first HEX digits):

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml

I don't believe this is the case. Any static addresses I have are below 192.168.1.100

Also, when there is an ip address conflict, a window pops up under Microsoft Windows that indicates such.

Also, in the logs, the MAC address is always the same. There is not more than one MAC address.

I believe there is some Microsoft Vista weirdness that is causing a problem on this network.

Try unchecking IPV6 on the network connection of the laptop, and see if the problem persists.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card