CCNA Noob Question

Unanswered Question
Aug 1st, 2009

Hi! I got a question on ranking the time needed to route data between switch, hub, router and bridge in increasing order.

Personally, I know that router takes the longest time since it is most complex and that hub takes the least time since it just floods all other ports. For switches and bridges, which takes a longer time? Also, why?

Secondly, I know that bridge are software-based while switches are hardware-based. Is there a reason for these or must I memorise these facts blindly for the exam?

Thirdly, I dont understand why TCP and IP are linked together. TCP is in the transport layer and is reliable. IP is a "best effort" protocol and is in the network layer. So why is TCP/IP lumped together?

Fourthly, I got an interest in becoming a pen-tester. What certification should I have besides CCNA? CCSP or CCNP?

Thanks. Did I post my questions in the right place?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Tue, 08/04/2009 - 07:06

certified ethical hacker (CEH)is the big one.

..among others...any security cert including:

cissp (requires a sponsor)

ccsp (cisco security cert)

..of course any ccie would be helpful

RHCE (redhate) *edit* <---that must have been freudian

...and last and least (: ...the MCSE, or whatever the new track is called.

...any cert that improves your knowledge of OS'es, networking, security really will help pen testing. but CEH definitely, and CISSP.

------------

a switch is a hardware based bridge...don't think of them as two seperate things for this conversation. a switch bridges traffic in hardware (asics) and a bridge does it in software.

as far as which is faster, between a router,hub,switch,bridge...well it depends.

are we assuming all interfaces are of the same speed/duplex? are we assuming all hardware is of the same price/performance range? there is no easy answer to that question.

TCP/IP are grouped together be/c they are the two most common protocols found in networks today - including the internet.

wiki has some decent info on the tcp/ip model and the osi model. its good to undderstand the differences between the two and the similarities.

ccnaccnpcissp Wed, 08/05/2009 - 22:06

well, I got the switch and bridge question as multiple choice in ccna.

I understand the diff and similarities between tcp and ip.

Thanks.

What is the best way to be a pen-tester offically or unoffically?

claudeshyu Mon, 08/31/2009 - 22:56

Take you CCNA(640-802) at your own risk, this is what I sent my complaint that I felt after two failure:

Certificates Support/Manager,

I failed the 2nd times for CCNA single paper test 2 days ago (640-802) taken in Sydney under Pearson Vue test center. The complaint I am forwarding is pointing to the format or style of the exam. There are two very serious mistakes in the design of the format or structure that led to failure consequence as following:

1. One cannot either skip or return to the question if one has been thinking too long and want to leave it later for review. 640-802 I was taking twice and failed does not have this "review" option.

(This has been confirmed by staff at Pearson Vue in Sydney Centre I was taking the test.)

2. There is no question number in each question but only timer to count down to zero; only the total number of tests shown somewhere in the user acceptance page. That is not enough for candidates. Why? because without question number one is unable to predict and workout the best strategy to move on with respect to time left vs number of questions remain. I myself put an analogy to this as "one could not see the light in the other end of the tunnel. I am just keep walking in the dark."

If question number is clearly shown, I will predict "correctly" how long I should put in the rest of the test by dividing the total time left by the number of questions left to project the best time to move on. Your exam doesn't have question number shown means disastrous to time management.

That is the cause of my first and second exams failure despite I gained 200 more scores better than the first time and the failure is due to your format design mistake.

I dare to say I'll never retake CCNA 640-802 again should this problem not readdressed to and resolved by Cisco or I'll even pass to all my IT friends I know about not to take this test if no action is to be taken by Cisco.

I am here also formally request to recheck my test results for this. Not just a report of performance in each section of the exam that isn't correctly reflected how many questions I had done Pls kindly proceed for me.

Candidate name: Claude YU

Candidate ID: 214125504

Cisco ID: CSCO11599100

Lastly, I am formally request for refund for the my two exams I had been taking so far due to your serious design mistake.

Please reply in your earliest convenient.

Thanks

Claude YU

Dean Brandt Tue, 09/01/2009 - 00:29

I was actually at Pearson Vue on Elizabeth Street in Sydney the same day you failed your CCENT. I passed my CCNA (ICND2) the same day.

From an onlookers perspective you were rude, and disruptive, especially while someone else was trying to do their exam at the same time.

There are plenty of resources around that can give you adequate exposure to the types of questions you can expect on the exam, and in a similar format.

For waht it's worth, if you seriously know your stuff, none of the above would bother you, it's a case of come prepared, and pass.

claudeshyu Tue, 09/01/2009 - 02:29

You don't understand the whole thing about CCNA(604-802)i was taking which is a combined test that demands speed and perfect time-management. I needed to verify some concerns about which I was failed in the first time with the staff in the center would determine pass or failure about me - not that ICND2. I had my concerns to the staff who wanted to verify these for me in the PC I was doing the test and I found my concerns were all true. I knew these concerns would have some impact on my test outcome. So I disagree with you wholeheartedly about whether I was rude or disruptive or not. I mean nothing about it. I was just to find out the facts crucial to me. Now facts are facts, I would hope to further get clarification from Cisco about the format design problem of the test.

billyinkin Tue, 09/01/2009 - 02:44

There is no design problem with the test. You are the only person to go on record as having a problem with it. Im sure if you have not the IQ level to take the test there is no way you will pass 640-802. Maybe look for a new career fella;)

Bill

claudeshyu Tue, 09/01/2009 - 02:53

I am not stupid.. concern is concern.

and I don't want to take on any meaningless argument here and my career will not be influenced by what your said.

claudeshyu Tue, 09/01/2009 - 02:49

Sorry just to add we don't know each other. so don't pretend that you know me I wasn't the one with you at the center the same day.

araujojoel Tue, 09/01/2009 - 03:41

ccnaccnpcissp,

If you want to become a pen-tester, don't just focus on the security certifications from cisco. Learn how to use shell scripts, perl, or even a programing language.

There is a difference between a security consultant and a pen-tester.

Actions

This Discussion