Replies

rip,version command, default, debug ip rip

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I have few questions:

1) Let say we have routers r1---------------r2

r1 is running rip v2 while r2 is running version 1.

If i use the command " debug ip rip on r1, will i be able to view rip v1 updates on r1 ?

2)I understand that if i configure:

router rip

version 2

The router can only send and receive ripv2 updates.

How about if i configure:

router rip

version 1

Will router only receive and send ripv1 updates?

I found out by default rip version 1 is on, and router can receive rip v1 and rip v2 updates but can send only rip v1 updates.

My question is if i specify the version 1 by using " version 1" command, then router can only receive ripv1 updates. But if i don't specify any version, then both versions can be recived but only version 1 will be sent. Am i correct ?

Thanks a lot.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

1) "If i use the command " debug ip rip on r1, will i be able to view rip v1 updates on r1"

You will see a message stating that r1 has received an illegal version and the update will not be used.

However there are compatibility switches you can use on the router interfaces. So on the interface that connects r1 to r2

r1

int fa0/0

ip rip receive version 1

and this will allow r1 running rip v2 to accept and process the v1 update.

2) Yes a router configured with rip v1 will only send and receive v1 updates. But again this can be changed at the interface

level with the commands

ip rip receive version ...

ip rip send version ...

3) "My question is if i specify the version 1 by using " version 1" command, then router can only receive ripv1 updates. But if i don't specify any version, then both versions can be recived but only version 1 will be sent. Am i correct ?"

Yes you are. If you specify the version as 1 then the router cannot accept v2 updates.

Same applies as before though, all this behavior can be changed by using the interface switches as above.

Jon

View solution in original post

If you have ip rip receive version 2, it will ONLY receive version 2, regardless if you have version 1 under router rip

If you do a debug ip rip on R1, you will see R1 refusing the version 1 on e0:

*Aug 8 16:41:14.372: RIP: ignored v1 packet from 1.1.1.6 (illegal version)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

1) "If i use the command " debug ip rip on r1, will i be able to view rip v1 updates on r1"

You will see a message stating that r1 has received an illegal version and the update will not be used.

However there are compatibility switches you can use on the router interfaces. So on the interface that connects r1 to r2

r1

int fa0/0

ip rip receive version 1

and this will allow r1 running rip v2 to accept and process the v1 update.

2) Yes a router configured with rip v1 will only send and receive v1 updates. But again this can be changed at the interface

level with the commands

ip rip receive version ...

ip rip send version ...

3) "My question is if i specify the version 1 by using " version 1" command, then router can only receive ripv1 updates. But if i don't specify any version, then both versions can be recived but only version 1 will be sent. Am i correct ?"

Yes you are. If you specify the version as 1 then the router cannot accept v2 updates.

Same applies as before though, all this behavior can be changed by using the interface switches as above.

Jon

Hi John

just though about another case

Please consider the following:

R1:

router rip

version 1

int e0

ip rip version receive 2

Can R1 receive ripv2 updates only on e0 or R1 can receive both version updates, ripv1 updates because of the command " version 1" and ripv2 update because of the command " ip rip receive 2 " ?

Thanks

If you have ip rip receive version 2, it will ONLY receive version 2, regardless if you have version 1 under router rip

If you do a debug ip rip on R1, you will see R1 refusing the version 1 on e0:

*Aug 8 16:41:14.372: RIP: ignored v1 packet from 1.1.1.6 (illegal version)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card