Views
Helpful
Replies

Ple help to verify on comand HSRP

rechard_hk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I need all of you to verify command HSRP that i was configure 2 switch for (Active/Standby).On switch 3560G

1- core-switch 01 (Active)

interface Vlan10

ip address 192.168.3.3 255.255.255.0

ip access-group aclall out

standby 7 ip 192.168.3.2

standby 7 timers 1 3

standby 7 preempt

2-Core-Switch 02(Standby)

interface Vlan10

ip address 192.168.3.4 255.255.255.0

ip access-group aclall out

standby 7 ip 192.168.3.2

standby 7 timers 1 3

standby 7 priority 200

standby 7 preempt

--------------

So the command as above is it correct? if i use those command the Core-switch01 is Active or not ? and the Core-swithc 02 is standby or not?

Best Regards,

Rechard_hk

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rechard

The higher priority becomes the active router. If you don't specify a priority then the default is 100. So core switch 2 will become the active in your config -

make these changes

core switch 01

int vlan 10

standby 7 priority 110

core switch 02

int vlan 10

no standby 7 priority 200

Jon

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your help!!!

Ok! i understand that you show me..

i would like to ask you some question as below:

1- which number standard priority ?

2- which number standard timer ?

3- could you help verify me again for command that timer,preempt: should i put this command on the both switch(active/standby)

4- normally, when the active down it take a few minute to change to standby.so i don't want to take a few minute, i want... when the active down, the standby will up immediately(not need to wait afew minute).

best Regards,

Rechard

The standby timers set the interval in seconds between the hello message to be exchanged between the active and standby router

in order to find out the if the active router is down. Here you have set the interface timer to be 1 second and it waits for the 3 hello message acknowledgement to declare the interface is down.

You could very well configure the Preempt command on both the active and standby routers as well. Preempt will make the router to be known as the active based on the priority configured.

Change the priority value of core 2 switch to less 100 as the core 1 switch doesnt configured with Priority value so it will take the default value as 100.

Use the following commands to verify if its working properly...

show standby "standby_number"

debug ip standby

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

What is in ACL "aclall"?

You don't want to be filtering the HSRP hello's between the switches

Don't think it matters as acl's applied outbound on a L3 Interface does not affect traffic generated by the router/switch itself.

If the acl's were inbound then yes they could affect traffic.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: