Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse Telnet

PauloHirakawa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anybody know if there is anyway to telnet to a Cisco device through a laptop, such as a reverse telnet?

I'd like to telnet to a remote laptop and access a router via console. The remote laptop has a VPN client connection to my network and a console connection to the router.

I have been using a WebEx to give this remote support, but it is slow, and I'd like to find another method.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

adery6300
Level 1
Level 1

It can easily be done using some kind of Unix machine, for instance Linux. Here's what I would do :

1 - On the linux laptop, you use the Minicom software to access the router via console;

2 - To access the linux laptop, you use SSH which ensure you have a secure connexion to your laptop. Use SSH keys to have more security.

I've done it, and it works quite well. You'll find plenty of howtos on the net to setup either parts of this setup.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

VNC or RDP

Else, configure a soft VPN on your PC and VPN to your PC. From there you can ssh, telnet to the router vty or console ports

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: