Views
Helpful
Replies

Disabling ISDN PRI Anonymous Call Rejection

bcepananet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a AS5350 with an ISDN PRI which handles incoming voice calls which get converted to SIP calls. I'm running 12.4(15) T8. I've noticed that inbound callers who have privacy enabled on their lines for their caller ID get a "number not available" announcement when they dial into the 5350. But when they prefix their call with a *82 (enable caller ID per call), they are able to get through. Turning on q931 debug, I can see that the call reaches the 5350 and is rejected with a ISDN Cause Code of '1'.

This seems to be a symptom of "anonymous caller ID blocking" being enabled. The question is, how to turn this off on the 5350 or be able to set the presentation and screening bits to the appropriate values to allow calls through.

Thank you.

- Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please configure DP 100 as I've indicated above.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the 5350, do you have something like ?

dial-peer voice xxx pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

Something similar, inbound/outbound pots dialpeer is as follows:

dial-peer voice 100 pots

numbering-type unknown

destination-pattern .+

direct-inward-dial

port 3/0:D

I also have a few specific inbound numbers used for T.37 fax:

dial-peer voice 900 pots

service fax-inbound

incoming called-number xxxxxxxxxx

direct-inward-dial

port 3/0:D

Please configure DP 100 as I've indicated above.

I assume "incoming called-number" will not impact any outbound calls matching this dial peer since "incoming called-number" has a higher matching precedence than a "destination-pattern" dial peer. Right?

Does an "incoming called-number" dial peer handle this particular issue of "presentation/screening" differently from a "destination-pattern" dial peer? Is there some reference that you know of that I can review?

I will try this during a maintenance window tonight since this is a production system.

Thanks much Paolo!

Respectively, yes, and no.

You don't need that much caution because the change brings the GW into standard configuration, thing that it doesn't have now.

That was it Paolo! I made the change this morning and it worked. It's a little disconcerting that a subtle change like this regarding the dial peers actually has this kind of subtle behavior change. And it's not documented well. It was very difficult to track down because very few people would report it, very infrequently and when it did happen, it would seem like a far end problem.

Thanks very much for your assistance!

-Bill

One have to understand how the router works. After you do, most things start making sense.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck.

Hmm, too quick to conclude.

I had shutdown my original dial-peer and replaced it with the one you suggested which fixed the privacy issue. But it broke my outbound (SIP to PSTN) faxing, however it did not break my outbound (SIP to PSTN) voice calls for some reason.

Unfortunately, I have to revert back.

Not sure if I can keep both dial peers in service.

-Bill

You must have been changing something else.

incoming called-number on a pots DP cannot influence faxing.

Nope, nothing else was changed.

We send faxes out to PSTN fax machines in various offices all over the country by using a fax server that initiates a SIP/T.38 fax over IP to the Cisco which converts the T.38 protocol to G3 Fax out the ISDN PRI.

That's how pots dial peers are connected to my faxing.

That's why I find it very strange that my outbound fax calls seem to all fail, while my outbound voice calls (again SIP to PSTN) seem to work fine.

I suspect there must be some other dial peer that's taking precedence. But I find that very hard to believe since I don't have specific specific outbound PSTN digit matching.

-Bill

Take "debug voip dialpeer" then.

Yes it will require some more detailed analysis - thanks.

-Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card