Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM 5.1 polling and threshold

Hi,

I want to configure different threshold for different customised groups. eg. critical switches have a different threshold and non critical devices have different thresholds. and thresholds for everything ports, env, usages, reachability etc.

pl help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can match on the device name using the SystemName property in the port/interface group ruleset. So, you could conceivably match on all of these device hostnames in a customized port group:

TrunkPort.SystemName equals "6500-1" OR

TrunkPort.SystemName equals "6500-2" OR

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you already have customized the groups the way you want, go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds, and Edit the various customizable groups. You can then modify all of the thresholds there.

Once you're done, make sure those customizable groups are at the top of the priorities list under Setting Priorities. Finally, go to Apply Changes, and apply the threshold changes down to the DFM servers.

hi,

I have done all the things. But i could not see my user defined groups. And again I could not see the interface threshold at the same time. could u please provide the steps to create it the way it is recommended.

What groups did you modify? What do you see when trying to modify the thresholds?

DFM -> configurations -> other configurations -> groups administration -> create

is this correct. if so this is not shown in the Polling and threshold section.

again, if i manage to customise a group and associate a threshold then i get only three options (environmental, processer and memory settings and reachability settings) but i am not able to get these (generic intercace /port performance settings, interface poort flapping settings, backup interface support settings. )

No. You can't create groups in DFM. You can only customize the existing customizable groups. You will need to go through the various device, port, and interface groups to organize the devices, ports, and interfaces the way you want. You can use the DFM Detailed Device View to get some of the required values for your rulesets (e.g. interface name, interface type, etc.). Once you have customized the groups, they will show up under Managing Thresholds in the User Defined Groups category.

i managed to do this, but i cant get all the options in the threshold settings. i got only three (eg. environmental, processer and memory settings and reachability settings) i also want the interface settings (eg. generic intercace /port performance settings, interface port flapping settings, backup interface support settings etc)

You have to click Edit on an customized interface or port group. It sounds like you're editing a customized device group.

but then how can i associate a device with the customised interface /port group.

and what to add in the rules section while adding this.

I can't answer that for you. The ruleset depends on what you want to match. As I said, use the Detailed Device View to see parameters like interface name. If you notice, the interface name actually contains the device name. So, you can match on Interface Name which equals, for example, IF-10.1.1.1/1 which would be interface with ifIndex 1 on device 10.1.1.1. The same rule works for ports as well.

is it that, i cant have device thresholds and interface thresholds within the same customised group.

Correct. You must customize different classes of groups to customize the various thresholds. The same is true for system defined groups. You can set the interface/port thresholds under groups such as 1 GB, 10/100, Serial, etc. groups; but device thresholds such as Environment, reachability, etc. are customized under the device type groups.

but how to create groups on interface names if i have thirtysix 65xx and ten 4507R with all gig and fe modules with hostname / interface name different

You can match on the device name using the SystemName property in the port/interface group ruleset. So, you could conceivably match on all of these device hostnames in a customized port group:

TrunkPort.SystemName equals "6500-1" OR

TrunkPort.SystemName equals "6500-2" OR

i got a way out with this. but then i dont have a common system name therefore i have to add all the devices manually.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco