cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Associations

jrobey284
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 autonomous 1230's about 25 yards apart, with computers spread out between them. Both AP's are on the same VLAN and use the same SSID. Most of the computers associate with 1 of the APs. I want to make it so that each AP has a equal number of associations. Is this possible?

I was thinking about enabling MAC authentication and only configuring the MAC's of the PC that I want on that AP. Do you think that would work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP association depends entirely on algorithms based on signal strengths (RSSI) and noise (Signal-to-Noise Ratio or SNR) and load of the AP. The wireless NIC and the APs talk to each other and decide who goes to where.

Enabling MAC authentication is a tedious job but it may work. If your AP's are getting over-saturated then I recommend that you re-position the APs to a better location or put a third AP.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP association depends entirely on algorithms based on signal strengths (RSSI) and noise (Signal-to-Noise Ratio or SNR) and load of the AP. The wireless NIC and the APs talk to each other and decide who goes to where.

Enabling MAC authentication is a tedious job but it may work. If your AP's are getting over-saturated then I recommend that you re-position the APs to a better location or put a third AP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card