Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quarantine - Public Folders

Hi

We are using an IronPort C150 in front of Exchange 2003. We have recently enabled the quarantine feature to allow users to check for email which they have expected but not received, and receive a weekly digest email.

Does anyone know how we can set up users to be able to check the quarantine for emails sent to an address which belongs to an Exchange public folder?

Thanks

Matt

6 Replies 6

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Currently, you have the quarantine set up so that if inbound mail from the Internet comes into your network and is deemed "suspected" spam or other possible reason (e.g. profanity, adult content, etc), then these msgs get quarantined and the intended recipient (e.g. user@yourcompany.com), gets a weekly quarantine digest, letting them know some msgs were sidelined for whatever reason. Of course, these internal recipients can log in at any time they want.

I'm a little unclear on your question. Can you provide a real world example? When you say, "set up users to", what is the sender's address and the recipient's address?

Hi

We are using an IronPort C150 in front of Exchange 2003. We have recently enabled the quarantine feature to allow users to check for email which they have expected but not received, and receive a weekly digest email.

Does anyone know how we can set up users to be able to check the quarantine for emails sent to an address which belongs to an Exchange public folder?

Thanks

Matt

Hi, thanks for your response.

Sure, an example. Let's say someone sends an email to me@mycompany.com, which is then quarantined. I then receive a digest telling me that I have quarantined mail. Let's say, however, someone sends an email to public_folder@mycompany.com, and this gets quarantined. A digest is then sent, and when someone looks in this public folder, they see there is quarantined mail which was addressed to that folder. How do they then check the quarantine for the email address of that public folder?

Hope that helps, lep me know if you want me to elaborate further.

Cheers

Matt

Currently, you have the quarantine set up so that if inbound mail from the Internet comes into your network and is deemed "suspected" spam or other possible reason (e.g.  profanity, adult content, etc), then these msgs get quarantined and the intended recipient (e.g.  user@yourcompany.com), gets a weekly quarantine digest, letting them know some msgs were sidelined for whatever reason.  Of course, these internal recipients can log in at any time they want.

I'm a little unclear on your question. Can you provide a real world example? When you say, "set up users to", what is the sender's address and the recipient's address?

Hi

Thanks

Matt

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

So, this public_folder@mycompany.com is some type of shared inbox that a bunch of people access, correct?

If this is the case, here are two options that may work for you.

1. Have the public_folder@mycompany.com bypass the quarantine stage. You would basically be disabling the Suspected Spam score for email traffic being delivered to public_folder@mycompany.com

This is achieved by adding an additional incoming mail policy called, Distribution_List, then you would add the recipient email of "public_folder@mycompany.com", to this newly created policy. Then, adjust the suspected spam prepends the subject instead of quarantining it.

2. The other option may just have a shared password that everyone that has access to the inbox of public_folder@mycompany.com uses. It would be an agreed upon password decided by the admin and then provided to everyone that needs it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Sure, an example. Let's say someone sends an email to me@mycompany.com, which is then quarantined. I then receive a digest telling me that I have quarantined mail. Let's say, however, someone sends an email to public_folder@mycompany.com, and this gets quarantined. A digest is then sent, and when someone looks in this public folder, they see there is quarantined mail which was addressed to that folder. How do they then check the quarantine for the email address of that public folder?

Hope that helps, lep me know if you want me to elaborate further.

Cheers

Matt

That second option would be my preference, that's basically exactly what I'm trying to achieve. The problem is I don't know how to set that up; at present people log in using their Active Directory username and password and are authenticated using an LDAP query - in hindsight I really should have included this information with my original post! Apologies for that.

A public folder is an Exchange object and therefore does not have an AD username and password, otherwise I would just suggest the users login using the credentials for that account.

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

That's going to be tricky since if you examine the Quarantine section in the Main home tab, the quarantine authentication part isn't super flexible. You can't have a certain segment use LDAP/AD authenication while other segment of recipients log in differently. It's kind of a all or nothing.

Do you always need to have this email traffic for this public_folder@ironport.com be quarantined on the C-series? Another option is that instead of actually quarantining suspectes spam, you instead either prepend the subject with [suspected spam] or add an additional spam header, and then let the email go to the mailserver/inbox.

Then, have a rule on the mailserer/inbox, that looks for that subject trigger or custom header and then puts it in a spam folder that folks can check regularly.

That second option would be my preference, that's basically exactly what I'm trying to achieve. The problem is I don't know how to set that up; at present people log in using their Active Directory username and password and are authenticated using an LDAP query - in hindsight I really should have included this information with my original post! Apologies for that.

A public folder is an Exchange object and therefore does not have an AD username and password, otherwise I would just suggest the users login using the credentials for that account.

Ok thanks. We have something on the order of 150 of these public folders so I was hoping to avoid that, but I guess it's the only option.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: