cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - I have customer who upgraded to 20 meg cable internet service and can only get 10 meg thru the router.

toschafe
Level 1
Level 1

RV042 - I have customer who upgraded to 20 meg cable internet service and can only get 10 meg thru the router. The customer had upgrade to a 20 meg cable internet service from a 10 meg service.   The customer is only able to get the 20 meg service going from cable modem to PC.  If he goes thru the RV042 router, he is only getting up to 10.7 down and 1.37 up.  Additional steps taken….He had a Linksys SRW224P switch connected to the RV042 router and we had disconnected this switch for testing purposes.   We performed the speed test again and we get the same speed results so we know the switch is not the issue.He had upgraded to firmware version 1.3.12.19 – TM Feb 13, 2009 – tested speed and no change.We accessed the web management interface and tried several modifications.   This includes the following…..-       We disabled the firewall – no change-       We disabled SPI with is the Stateful Packet Inspection (I was thinking this one would do it) – no change in speed.-       We disabled DoS (Deny of Service) – no change.-       We set MTU to Manual and tested various byte increments based on MTU ping testing. – Once again, no change in speed.  He is NOT using Load balancing on the routerHe has NO access rules but does have a few port forwards. Finally, with each change, he is saving the changes on the router. 

4 Replies 4

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

You are expecting 20MB throughput on a $150 router?  Well, ok, maybe.. Can you check on your router or switch if the port is set or auto negotiated to 10 or 100?  That could explain 10MB limit (although technically a 10Mb port is considered 20Mb theoretical max throughput as 100Mb port is considered 200Mb per Cisco).  So maybe you ended up with 10/half somehow?  MTU 1500 would also be good for that connection I think and to try to get max throughput. 

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

I too would question whether or not the RV could push that high of bandwidth.  Can you look at any interface statistics on the device are there any errors?  Swap cables on all sides? Are you plugged directly into the RV device?  Not sure if the RV has multiple "inside" ports or not but perhaps a different port.  No QoS rules applied to limit general Internet traffic?

Kenny

joebenski
Level 1
Level 1

We have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

If you would like to increase your bandwidth tremendously on the rv series router, disable the SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection).  This feature scans each packet coming into the router.  By disabling this feature you will free up the extra resources your router is utilizing, thus speeding up the traffic on the wan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: