cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLan.dat collection with LMS3.1

marshajr
Level 1
Level 1

Having problems with collecting Vlan config off of 3750 switches. We currently only allow SSH access to the switches, and I have configured the transport protocols as SSH,TFTP for config fetch and deploy. Am I missing something?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vlan config can only be fetched using TFTP. That is, in your case, RME will SSH to the switch, and issue the command "copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:". If TFTP is not allowed, then vlan.dat fetch will not succeed. A future release of RME will allow other protocols such as SCP.

I get the following message:

VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP.

Do I need to change the order of protocols for fetching the config? Or is there something that needs to be configured on the switches?

As I said, RME will SSH to the switch, then issue the copy command. You need to make sure TFTP is allowed between the device and server. You do not need to add TFTP to the protocol order.

This is happening for approximately 50 per cent of our switches/aps. These are spread over 5 separate campuses, and there does not appear to be any pattern as to specific network paths having the problem.

Also this is not a problem with LMS2.6 which we are still running on another server, which successfully backs up 556 devices as opposed to 313 under LMS3.1.

LMS 2.6 behaves exactly the same way when it comes to fetching vlan.dat. Perhaps you have firewall rules in place blocking TFTP for the LMS 3.1 server, but not for the 2.6 server. In order for TFTP to work, you need to allow UDP port 69 as well as all ephemeral UDP ports.

As a test, SSH to one of the failing switches, and try to run:

copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:

Try copying the vlan.dat to your LMS 3.1 server. This should fail as well.