Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 QoS and Etherchannel

serotonin888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the recommended method of configuring queueing and marking (policy-map) on layer 2 etherchannel ports?

For example. Should i configure the queueing and policy-map under the physical interfaces only. Or maybe queueing on the physical and the policy-map on the Port-Channel interface..

Any ideas?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What kind of queueing do you have in mind?

You need to remember - 6500 regular line card do not support outbound shaping - just policing.

Shaping on the 6500 is only available on SIP/SPA modules.

__

Edison.

The queueing will be basic. Primarily to priority queue any VoIP traffic. Should this go on the physical interfaces or on the etherchannel interface that the physical ports are members of?

I also need to mark some of the traffic ingress to the interface and I am not sure whether I should apply the policy map at the physical interface, etherchannel interface or both.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

In this case, you will mark the VoIP traffic at ingress and simply trust DSCP the switchports.

You should have trust dscp in port-channel as well as physical interfaces.

Make sure to modify the qos maps from the default value in the switch. EF = 40 by default instead of 46

HTH,

__

Edison.

I couldnt apply the policy map to the physical interfaces so in the end I applied the queuing to the Physical interfaces and the policy-map to the port-channel.

Thanks

hi just wondering if you could answer this question on a similar issue, i'm ok with the queuing side of things but i want to limit traffic on the layer 2 port channel for a certain type of traffic, do i create an aggregate policer and a service policy and just apply to the port channel interface, i am presuming putting on the individual ports would be no good ? any help would be great.

thanks

dw

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: