cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP to AP peer-to-peer blocking

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

If you have two autonomous AP's, both with the same user vlan and subnet, is there a way to block users from one AP communicating with users on the second AP.

I know you can use PSPF for users connected to the same AP but need the best way to stop them when connected to seperate AP's in same vlan.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mat,

Here is the second part of the config for using PSPF;

Configuring Protected Ports

To prevent communication between client devices associated to different access points on your wireless LAN, you must set up protected ports on the switch to which your access points are connected. Follow these steps to set up protected ports on your switch:

Beginning in privileged EXEC mode, follow these steps to define a port on your switch as a protected port:

Command Purpose

Step 1

configure terminal

Enter global configuration mode.

Step 2

interface interface-id

Enter interface configuration mode, and enter the type and number of the switchport interface to configure, such as gigabitethernet0/1.

Step 3

switchport protected

Configure the interface to be a protected port.

Step 4

end

Return to privileged EXEC mode.

Step 5

show interfaces interface-id switchport

Verify your entries.

Step 6

copy running-config startup-config

(Optional) Save your entries in the configuration file.

To disable protected port, use the no switchport protected interface configuration command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15rf.html#wp1038494

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob that is exactly what I was looking for.

Following the link I am quickly realising that I am being lazy and should have read through the config guide before posting -5 points to me!

Hey Mat,

No worries my friend! Haven't we all missed something in these endless reams of docs, I know I have :)

Cheers!

Rob

just to add more into the mix. The user VLAN will be layer 3 so presumably the users will be able to communicate via the SVI? Can you use an ACL to prevent users in the same vlan communicating or will I need to move over to Private VLANs?

Also there would be two interconnected switches in the same user vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card