Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505: Log to Flash memory/USB?

evan-brown
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I have a Cisco ASA5505 which crashes unpredictably. I want to log from it to see what the problem is before the device becomes unavailable.

Is it possible to configure logging so that log messages are written automatically to flash memory in the device? I know that buffer logging can write to flash memory when the buffer becomes full, but I'd like to write log messages straight to flash memory so that I don't lose the messages immediately before the device crashes.

I have no crash reporting module on the device and it seems to go down before logging anything to syslog/SNMP as I've tried these already.

Alternatively is it possible to use a USB port on the device to attach a USB pen drive and have the ASA log to that?

Thanks for all help.

2 Replies 2

hclcciscoadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Why not use the ASDM from a PC, install a syslog app and use that HDD to store the logs?

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can log to flash, but it is suggested you use filters or you could fill flash pretty quick.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa71/system/message/logconf.html#wp1067514

It sounds like a big problem and I would open a TAC case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card