Views
Helpful
Replies

FR: invarp - learning from requests ?

mlopacinski
Level 1
Level 1

hello

According to RFC2390: " Upon receiving an InARP request, a station may put the requester's protocol address/hardware address mapping into its ARP cache as it would any ARP request."

If i have R1,R2,R3 with R1 as the hub, and i will configure:

- on R2 static mapping to R3

- on R3 static mapping to R2

- on R1 inverse arp

R1 after receiving LMI will send inverse arp request to R2 and R3 which will respond to this packet. The question is: will R2 and R3 add dynamic mapping for that DLCI/IP received in this inverse-arp request ?

Thanx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

On Cisco routers, they will. The Cisco routers learn also by receiving requests, not just by receiving replies.

However, this is an implementation dependent behavior, I believe. The RFC clearly does not require that FR DTE devices learn InverseARP mappings also by requests. I can imagine a more naive (or perhaps, more strict) implementation that learns only using replies.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

On Cisco routers, they will. The Cisco routers learn also by receiving requests, not just by receiving replies.

However, this is an implementation dependent behavior, I believe. The RFC clearly does not require that FR DTE devices learn InverseARP mappings also by requests. I can imagine a more naive (or perhaps, more strict) implementation that learns only using replies.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card