cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual ISP/Dual Firewalls configuration...

mgar18777
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of configuring our network with dual internet connections through separate firewalls using different ISP carriers. We will be using BGP for inbound traffic, but how do I configure our outbound traffic for internet failover? I am running OSPF internally on all the core switches. Our current internet connection is in our Data Center 1 (as noted in the drawing) and the 2nd, proposed, connection will be at our Headquarters. I want the traffic to go through Data Center 1 and if there is an issue, failover to the Headquarters ISP. I currently have my gateway of last resort routes mapped to the Data Center 1 connection. I assume I need to remove those routes and let OSPF handle default routes? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

3 Replies 3

ildavide72
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm only a CCNA student, so I can make a mistake..

But I try to give you my solution.

You probably configured the boundary router of Data Center 1 as the gateway of last resources whit the link to ISP as exit interface.

The OSPF has an Administrative Distance of 110

If you put a default static route on this gateway ( to the Headquarter exit )

with command ip route you can set 111 as Administrative Distance ( not using 1 as default)

this route won't be the best route untill the link from data Center 1 and ISP is up.

If this link fails the default route will be added in the routing table.

I found a url who explains this method.

It's called Floating Static Routes

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/archived-articles/524-designing-default-and-dial-backup.html

Seems easy enough. I'll give that a try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: