cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No IOS in a router

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

I have two routers, one with a working IOS R1 and the other with none R2 which boots straight into rmon. I can move the flash card from R1 into the non working one R2 it boots ok . Now how do I then copy the "working" ios for this flash onto the no -working router R2 so I can take out this flash and move it to its correct router R1 and then plug in a spare flash into the now working router R2 and then copy to this ios flash . So now both routers have a boot-able flash- hope it makes sense

Please steps - not a data person

many thanks

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The easiest way I know how do it (may not be the easiest way possible), is to use a card reader. Put the flash card that is missing the IOS and copy it from your desktop. If you need to you can copy it from the "good" flash card to your PC first. Here's the card reader I use.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-ImageMate-Reader-Writer-SDDR-92-A15/dp/B00064V6R6/ref=sr_1_1/177-8551557-4665055?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249492190&sr=8-1

Don't the price here shock you, I bought it at Staples for around $25.

Here's another option. Boot R1 in to working condition. Then plug in a USB drive into router and copy the IOS to it. Pull the working flash card (you can do it while the router is running) and plug in the flash card w/o IOS. Then copy IOS from USB to flash.

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

If you have enough place on the RAM of the routers, copy the image from the flash to RAM.

Else you need 2 flash cards.

Then setup tftpserver on the router that has the image on flash and do a copy tftp: flash: on the other one.

thanks for the repies. My work does not allow USB in their laptops. I have a copy of the IOS on a laptop though.

Are you saying bring up R2 with the flash card from R1(working IOS) Then pull this card out while R2 is up ie with a working version with IP address and plug in the empty Flash and do a copy tftp: flash: to copy the IOS from the TFTP server- Excuse these may be stupied but I`m not well up on data- learning. Is there way I can copt from Flash to some internal with the R2 copy flash: XXXXX: ?

I originally wanted to clear the existng config. so there was a clean IOS build in the router for training- How should I have that - Erase Run, Erase start-up? thanks

The USB gets plugged into the router only. Boot a router with IOS, then copy the IOS to USB (that is plugged into the router). Replace the flash card, then copy from USB to flash. To clear the config, type write erase then reload the router.

the usb will show up as usbflash0: or usbflash1:

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the model of the router you are talking about?

If you are going to use USB, format the USB FIRST before copying any files into it.

ISRs with USB support up to 2Gb USB size.

The router is a 2821

just curious?

Isn't there a tftpdnld command available on RomM mode?

If that's possible, I'll just copy the IOS through tftp.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tftpdnld is available from the new x8xx routers (like the 85x/87x, 18xx, 28xx, 38xx) as well as the 2690, 3700 routers.

By the way, regarding USB, if you are planning to copy the IOS into the USB, you WILL NOT be able to boot FROM the USB unless you upgrade the ROMmon to version 12.4(13r)T5.

Routers > Cisco 2801 Integrated Services Router > IOS ROMMON Software > 12.4(13r)T5

Don't ask me why you have to go here to get it.

When you've done that, you have the option to upgrade to the next level, 12.4(13r)T6: Routers > Cisco 2821 Integrated Services Router > IOS ROMMON Software > 12.4(13r)T6

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: