Views
Helpful
Replies

10 digit dial plan Suggestions

mrugeshpatel_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a design where I want to propose 10 digit dial plan. The size of the client is so huge anything less than 7 is not possible.

My question is: How do I eliminate inter digit timeout for the following scenario

Extension: 9182345555

LD: 91[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx

Do I HAVE TO use an On-net code? or are there any other options?

8 Replies 8

cposti01
Level 1
Level 1

We just moved from a 10digit Dial plan, I would not recommend it.

what were the issues you ran into?

Erik Peterson
Level 4
Level 4

I'm doing one now, NANP, but all internal DNs will start with an 8, effectively making that the On-net access code. 9 will be the PSTN access code.

So how does your internal dialing work? how many digit and what does it start with?

Pretty much straight out of the SRND. Local, site specific XLATE partition to allow abbreviated intra-site dialing. Users will dial 8 plus the ten digit number to dial inter-site. Really the 8 is part of all internal DNs, so it is actually an 11 digit dial plan. This is a very big deployment, with a mix of existing TDM and Cisco installations migrating to a single cluster.

You will run into inter digit time out when a user is dialing bettwen sites vs dialing internally.

So for an extension 8475558471, a user internally dials 88471 vs a user from outside will call 88475558471. Correct?

In that situation, the intra-site translation would have to either be more or fewer digits in order to avoid the overlap. The intra-site translation can vary in length from site to site.

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

Just a side note, I implemented a couple of 10 digit internal dial plans and one requirement I presented was that the outside PTSN access code needed to be a 0 instead of a 9. The logic is that there are is no area code that starts with a 0 therefore avoiding a dial plan overlap. At first they did not care for the idea because of the usual argument that some locations like to dial 0 internal for operator. But after explaining the translation nightmare, inter-digit timeout, etc.. they were OK with it. Otherwise I told them if they wanted to stick with a 9 for access code that they should choose some other dial plan that did not base extensions on the full 10 digit DID.

Hope that helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: