Helpful
Replies

communication between MDS C9134 and C9222i

omer.kanse
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support,

need your help to fix my setting.

I have bought now the good 10GBFC Module for connexion between MDS C9134 and C9222i. the trunking is OK between the 2 switches.

But we have Vsan with zone on each MDS but they cannot communicate.

Please find in attach my setting.

Waiting for your feedback urgently

Best Regards

4 Replies 4

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Which VSAN are you having problems with? I can see zones in VSAN 4 on OCI-SWLUMNBKE-01, but I don't see VSAN 4 created on CIT-SWIRP1NBK-01.

Regards,

Roman

Dear Roman,

I have ceated VSAN3 on first MDS c9134 and put on it (a host fc1/3 and a Robot fc1/7, and on the other site I have a host (fc1/3 in VSAN4 on c9222i)which need to reach the robot on the first site.And then, I have the 2 peers (fc1/33 c9134 and fc2/1 c9222i) in VSAN 1. So I don't see proagation of Vsan like VLAN on Local Area Network. I am very new on SAN.

Perhaps, my design is not good, can I use only Vsan 1 to solve problem? I try it but NOK.

have you any idea?

Hello Omer,

Yes, you got it right, LANs are very different from SANs. VLAN concept is similar to VSAN, but there are a few differences. First of all, there is no concept of LAN's VTP in Cisco's SAN-OS (NX-OS). You need to manually create VSANs on all switches. Secondly, "inter VSAN routing (IVR)" is not automatic. You have to configure IVR vsan-topology and IVR zones+zoneset. But in your case, maybe you could just put all devices into the same VSAN and simply control communication between devices using zones. Yes, you could use only VSAN 1 to solve it. Place everything into VSAN 1 and configure zones in VSAN 1 on one of the switches. Place zones into zoneset, activate it, and active zoneset will automatically propagate in VSAN 1 to the other switch.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Roman

Dear Roman,

I have set only un VSAN on each MDS Switch, with a zone also ans only Zonzset set on MDS c9222 and "activate it and distribute it".Now everything is OK.

Thank a lot for your support.

Regards

Pboidi