cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribute EIGRP to RIPv2

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with MSFC and I need to redistribute the EIGRP routes to RIPv2 as part of a merger with another network.

When I enter the command the only RIP option available after "Redestribute" is RIP.....will this include RIPv2 or will this only be RIPv1..

Do I need to upgrade the MSFC IoS to support RIPv2??

Any help greatfully recevied...

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lee,

The command should be

Router Rip

then

version 1 or 2

router rip

version 2

network 1.0.0.0

HTH

Reza

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Don't worry about the RIP version. The RIP version is defined in the RIP configuration using the "version" command. Therefore, there is no specific option in the "redistribute" command. Whichever RIP version you are using, that version will be used to announce your routes redistributed from EIGRP. Your RIP protocol configuration should look as follows:

router rip

version 2

no auto-summary

redistribute eigrp AS_NUMBER metric 1

network ...

network ...

Best regards,

Peter

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lee

Slightly confused. If you want to redistribute EIGRP into RIP then why are you using the redistribute rip command rather than the "redistribute eigrp.." command under the "router rip" configuration ?

In answer to your question though you don't need to upgrade for RIPv2 support - "redistribute rip" will include RIPv2 routes.

Jon

Thanks Guys...

I think I might have been coming at this from the wrong direction..

I want to "send" all of my EIGRP routes to a 3rd Parties router but they only use RIPv2.

I had assumed that I would just put a "redistribute RIP" under the "Router EIGRP xxx" config, I didn't realise that I had to enable RIP on the router first. However, now you mention it it makes perfect sense.

As this 3rd party router will also become the Default Gateway I'm not to concerned with learning any routes coming back the other way. (I'll just set a default route to the 3rd party router).

Hope that makes sense..

Lee

Yes it does make sense. You will need to run a rip process on your router as you say and then redistribute your EIGRP routes into tha rip process on your router.

Jon

Thanks...

Is there anyway I can prevent my router learning any RIPv2 routes coming from their router..

As their RIPv2 router will be the only way off my network I'll add a default route pointing at their router. To keep my routing table clean I'd like to prevent my MSFC "learning" any routes via RIPv2....

Is their a command to do this or should I just create an ACL to filter RIP updates??

Hello,

A correct way would be to prevent updates being received from them. You can do it either as filtering the RIP packets (UDP/520) or you can use the distribute-list functionality within RIP to filter which networks you want to accept and which you want to discard.

Are you familiar with distribute-lists?

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks....I'm not familar with distribute-lists, however, I agree that the best way is to filter them..

I'll create an ACL to filter RIP and apply to the interface.

Thanks again guys...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card