PVC2300 not working with SWVMS16!

Answered Question
Aug 5th, 2009

Hello everyone!

For past few weeks I'm desperate to understand why our all four PVC2300 (with FW 1.0.1) are unable to work with new monitoring software (SWVMS16 v1.0.0)...

I'm able to auto discover all four cams and they do appear in camera list but picture is just black!

With old Linksys Surveilance SW everything is ok.

I did packet capture and I could only see discovery messages exchanged between server and cams.

All four cams and server are on the same IP subnet.

Can someone help, please.

BR,

Miodrag

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by David Hornstein about 7 years 3 months ago

Hi Miodrag,

The following document for installing a PVC2300 does NOT mention windows 2003 as a supported platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9945/data_sheet_c78-500888.pdf

Some of the requirements it mentions are;

Minimum Requirements

● Microsoft Windows Vista, XP, 2000, ME, or 98SE to support Installation Wizard
● 128-MB AGP video adapter

But the datasheet for the software application that you are trying to use mentions support for 2003, so i am scratching my head and wondering who is correct, dunno that answer.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9949/data_sheet_c78-526909.html

I must admit i am running the application on a XP machine, but the Small business Support center (SBSC), knows alot more than i know about requirements for this application and past installation issues.

Everything just seems to point back at your PC, escpecially since you tried the application on two other server 2003 computers with the same result.

It sure would to interesting to try the application on a XP machine. ( ignoring the fact that it works with VNC and the product GUI on the current machine.)

And if it still is now working try calling the SBSC.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
David Hornstein Thu, 08/06/2009 - 08:24

Hi Miodrag,

That new software is just tremendous, it just a generation ahead of the old software and just works. So, I can understand your frustration.

Do you see a image when you use Internet explorer  to get to a camera's IP address "http://ipaddress"

My first thought is a personal firewall on your PC, or display resolution settings on your PC but you mentioned that the old software works on your PC,  is that a factual statement ?

Your sniffer capture only showed discovery packets not a  stream from camera to PC ..hmmmm

I would try the following simple tasks first;

If it's not too much trouble, can you  try manually add one of the existing  cameras to the application. The application will display many streams from the same camera, if you wish so don't be concerned but  post your findings.

Next  try going to the 'settings' tab on the application, select camera  and then video parameters.  Is brightness set down, move it up and see what happens?

Load the freeware application on another PC (for diagnostic purposes only ) and see if you have the same problem.

I just got my PVC300  (lucky me) and version 1.1.0 software with it. This newer software, not as yet released on the PVC300 software download area, supports the WVC210,PVC2300 and the WVC2300.

If your still having problems place a call into the Small Business Support center, and see if they can send  the PVC300 software for you for you to try.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

m.radulovic Thu, 08/06/2009 - 10:12

Thanks for replying Dave!

Yes, I can see normal image using ordinary browser or even VLC player using RTSP stream.

I do not have any firewall on that test PC, even built-in Windows firewall is turned off.

Yes, old software works perfectly, thats a fact.

Sorry for misleading you but I've made a mistake setting Wireshark capture filter, indeed I can capture streams from camera.

It just looks that new software is unable to decode those streams - weird...

I've deleted all cameras and then added manually just one camera, same problem persists.

Sometime when adding camera Console reports that camera is inaccessible, but if I delete it and re-create it everything is fine.

I can open video parameters and change them but screen on the right is always black...

I've already tried with two Windows 2003 servers, same problem is present on both of them.

Can this problem be caused by using Windows Server 2003 and not ordinary XP?

Thank you for helping me.

BR,

Miodrag

Correct Answer
David Hornstein Thu, 08/06/2009 - 11:27

Hi Miodrag,

The following document for installing a PVC2300 does NOT mention windows 2003 as a supported platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9945/data_sheet_c78-500888.pdf

Some of the requirements it mentions are;

Minimum Requirements

● Microsoft Windows Vista, XP, 2000, ME, or 98SE to support Installation Wizard
● 128-MB AGP video adapter

But the datasheet for the software application that you are trying to use mentions support for 2003, so i am scratching my head and wondering who is correct, dunno that answer.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9949/data_sheet_c78-526909.html

I must admit i am running the application on a XP machine, but the Small business Support center (SBSC), knows alot more than i know about requirements for this application and past installation issues.

Everything just seems to point back at your PC, escpecially since you tried the application on two other server 2003 computers with the same result.

It sure would to interesting to try the application on a XP machine. ( ignoring the fact that it works with VNC and the product GUI on the current machine.)

And if it still is now working try calling the SBSC.

m.radulovic Mon, 08/10/2009 - 07:36

Dave, everyone,

I've tried today v1.0.0 on ordinary XP SP3 and it works!

Definitely there is a problem with SWVMS16 running on Windows Server 2003...

It is really unusuall nowdays to find out application which does not work on Server 2003.

Can you ask BU or PM are they aware that SWVMS16 does not work on Server 2003?

BR,

Miodrag

Steven DiStefano Mon, 08/10/2009 - 10:58

One of the earlier questions was when will the 1.1 version of SWVMS16 be available.  I got the following from the PM:

"V1.1 is the one that ships with PVC300.  It is still  not on the web due to open source validation (IP central).  But it is on the CD  that goes with the camera.  That is the latest and greatest."
m.radulovic Mon, 08/10/2009 - 23:48

Is there any chance that I can get that 1.1.0 release of software to try it out on Server 2003?

Please, can someone post it here, on the forum, for download?

BR,

Miodrag

cindy toy Tue, 09/01/2009 - 20:44

Hi Miodrag,

You can now get the download for the PVC2300. Click here to go to the Cisco PVC2300 Business Internet Video Camera

page and then scroll down to Additional Documentation and click on Download Firmware and Accept License Agreement.

Best regards,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business Support

Community Manager

jforebac Thu, 08/06/2009 - 17:19

Attached is a PDF that might help you out. Page 3 gives you a list of OS's compatible with the monitoring utlity and starting on page 12 talks about the setup in the monitoring utlity. If you need further assistance you can call the Small Business Support Center at 1.866.606.1866.

Jeff

m.radulovic Sat, 08/08/2009 - 02:16

Jeff, thank you for helping me.

If I read that document properly on page 3 is says that MS Windows Server 2003 IS supported OS for SWVMS-16, right?

BR,

Miodrag

Steven DiStefano Fri, 08/07/2009 - 11:08

Please try SWVMS 1.0.1 at least.  1.1.0 is what should be posted.

Sorry I just noticed that you are using SWVMS16 1.0.0

The good news is you are using PVC2300 FW 1.0.1 which is also required.

m.radulovic Sat, 08/08/2009 - 02:20

Hi Steve, thank you for your post.

Can you tell me where can I download official SWVMA 1.0.1?

I dl'ed one ARJ archive from this forum (found it in previous post) and installed it but same problem persists...

And what is the difference between SWVMA and SWVMS-16?

BR,

Miodrag

avanvuuren Fri, 01/22/2010 - 21:57

I have the WVC210 camera and I cannot get the software (that ships with the camera) to work on Windows Server 2003.  The software installed fine, but the area where the video is supposed to display stays black.  When I type the ip address into Internet Explorer, I also just get a blank screen.

I installed it on a Vista machine and it works fine.

Can anybody help with the issue on Windows Server 2003?

Thank you

Alandre

eljakimit Fri, 01/22/2010 - 23:39

Hey Alexandre,

is it not just an issue of Flash not having been installed? We noticed with several

other Cisco products that they only work completely if you have flash because

they just use IE + Flash to render parts of the GUI.

Eljakim

avanvuuren Sat, 01/23/2010 - 02:37

Hi Eljakim, thank you for your advice, I now installled Flash and the web interface now works, but I still get no picture in the Video Monitoring software.  I reinstalled the software but still no luck.

Alandre

avanvuuren Tue, 02/02/2010 - 14:17

Hi Steve, yes I installed the latest version but still have the issue.  I am starting to think I might have a problem with my display driver, but all other applications are fine, so I am still lost as to what causes this issue.

Regards

Alandre

Actions

This Discussion