Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS and access point IOS

Gary Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco state;

'To participate in WDS, infrastructure access points should run the same version of IOS as the one that WDS runs.'

Can anyone tell me what the effect is if the access points are not on the same IOS version? Also, what if there is a mix of AP models? Do they all need to be on the same version still e.g. a 1210 and a 1242 ap?

I cannot find much info on this subject ono CCO and hope that someone might have a working knowledge of this.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gary,

When we ran an Autonomous infrastructure with WDS (AP based) we had a variety of IOS's (model dependant)and various AP models without any related issues. I think the reference in the doc that you clipped is a very early WDS recommendation that really reflects the need for AP's to be running one of the newer IOS's of that time :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob. I thought that the different IOS version might be playing a part in an issue I have with a Location manager on a WLSE 1133. The maps are showing incorrect signal coverage despite recent AP scans. They indicate that each access point can give coverage to an entire floor. A physical survey shows this is not the case. Basically showing me false information. Any ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: