cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Usage of Cisco Discovery Protocol in my application

s.ayodhya
Level 1
Level 1

How should i use the Cisco Discovery Protocol - CDP in my application to get the details of system in the network.

4 Replies 4

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

I know 3 applications for the CDP protocol:

You can use the 'show cdp neighbors' to see what devices are connected to your local device and what are the local and remote ports.

The 'show cdp neighbor detail' command will also display an ip address from the neighbor. You can use it to telnet to the neighbor devices.

This way you can discover your network without physically seeing it.

2. Cisco switches discover Cisco IP phones connected to the switch using the CDP protocol. Switches then make a decision about CoS trusting depending on the configuration of the specific switch port.

3. You can use CDP to configure On-demand routing (ODR) in simple hub-and spoke topologies.

Cheers:

Istvan

Thanks, i am new to this field. So can you provide me further details, in terms of implementation or some links where i can refer actual usage/implementation of this protocol in applications.

Regards,

SAyodhya

Hi,

What application / scription language you are using for accessing the Cisco device for running the commands?

OR to rephrase the question... how is your application connecting to the cisco device.

Hi,

I need to start the application development, i am planning to develop it using VB, will this support? and i am looking for all basic information and suggestions, for ex: How to connect to a device, Do i need to install any software in my system and so on. I am a beginner here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card