cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Devices discovery

raindrop18
Level 1
Level 1

my Solaris server configured to use ipnodes for Cisco devices discovery.instead of host file.I don't have permission to host file. the script I have to access Cisco devices using snmpwalk and snmpget. the problem is net-snmp not able get name resolution from ipnodes and I got error" unkown host" but when I using ping the name resolution is working. any one has idea why net-snmp not using ipnodes? thanks in Advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe the precompiled packages of net-snmp do not include support for getaddrinfo() or getipnodebyname(). The result is that gethostbyname() is used which does not consult ipnodes. If you recompile, getaddrinfo() should be detected, and this will be used to resolve your hostnames.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of Solaris? On Solaris 10, ipnodes and /etc/hosts are the same file. On other versions, I believe you will need to recompile net-snmp with IPv6 support to get ipnodes resolution to work.

thank J. my Solaris is version 10. here is the senario. the unix group maintain the host file and didn't give permission for and have been told and given permission on ipnodes. so I have added all my cisco devices lists with corresponding ip address to ipnodes.so in short the host file reflect all other devices but the ipnodes reflect all Cisco devices? I don't know this logis is working or not. just been told. appreciated your comments.

On Solaris 10, ipnodes should be a symlink to /etc/hosts. But it sounds like this was changed by your admins. In that case, I think you will need to rebuild net-snmp with IPv6 support to get support for ipnodes.

Thanks a lot J. so even though we are not using IPv6 still need net-snmp need to rebuild with IPv6 support? to get ipinodes functionality?

I believe the precompiled packages of net-snmp do not include support for getaddrinfo() or getipnodebyname(). The result is that gethostbyname() is used which does not consult ipnodes. If you recompile, getaddrinfo() should be detected, and this will be used to resolve your hostnames.

thank you so very much!!!you are correct. i have just rebuild net-snmp with ipv6 and it's working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: