Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating 6500 Hybrid configuration to NEW 6500 running IOS

rdauman24pb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have several 6509 switches (most access, a couple distribution) currently in Hybrid mode. As part of an upgrade project, all of these switches are being replaced with new hardware, which will be on IOS software.

I would like to know what is the best way to migrate the existing configurations onto the new devices. The current devices have both L2/L3 configurations, while the NEW devices will be strictly L3.

It would seem that the ENTIRE L3 (MSFC) config would still be needed on the NEW device - unless I am mistaken. However, what would still be required from the L2 side that would need to be migrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

"The current devices have both L2/L3 configurations, while the NEW devices will be strictly L3."

Not sure what you mean by this. You will still need L2 configuration on the switch if the switches are to function as they do now in hybrid mode. The only difference is that instead of using CatOS for L2 you now use IOS for L2 and L3.

So which bits would you need apart from the MSFC config. Well without knowing what you have configured it's difficult to be precise but it's safe to say you will need

1) vlans

2) allocation of ports into those vlans

3) VTP if you are using it already

4) STP configuration

5) Any trunk configurations

6) etherchannel configurations

+ anything else you have configured.

Jon

Sorry, misspoke. I meant to say the NEW devices would be strictly IOS. However, they will have L2 (switch port) and L3 (routing protocol) function.

In terms of the migration from Hybrid to IOS, it would seem that the MSFC configuration would be transparent (that is, could be applied as is since it is already IOS). However, the L2 configuration from the Hybrid device would need updating, such as the VLAN information, etc. This is what I wanted to confirm and on which I wanted to find more information.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob

No problem.

Use the configuration guide to work out the commands you need to use if your'e not sure -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/layer2.html

Jon

Rob

Forgot to mention. There is also a conversion tool you can use which converts CatOS config to IOS config for the 6500. I haven't used it so don't know how good it is -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080816fbc.shtml

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card