Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet and extended acl

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body.

My bookshows how a standard access list can be used to control telnet acesss.

I am just wondering if we can use extended acces list instead of standard access list.

Let say i want only users on the subnet 198.198.198.0/24 can telnet into my router. How extended acl can be used here ?

thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

"Let say i want only users on the subnet 198.198.198.0/24 can telnet into my router. How extended acl can be used here ?"

You would still only use a standard acl ie.

access-list 1 permit 198.198.198.0 0.0.0.255

An extended acl is used when you want to specify both src/dst IP and/or TCP/UDP ports but they don't make any sense in this scenario ie.

the destination IP address is not relevant here and you don't need to specify the ports.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I assume we are talking about ACLs applied onto the VTY lines using the command access-class.

Well, an extended ACL can be used here exactly as the standard ACL. Note that every standard ACL can be translated to an extended ACL simply by specifying "any" recipient. So for your example, this would be the configuration:

access-list 100 permit ip 198.198.198.0 0.0.0.255 any

line vty 0 4

access-class 100 in

or perhaps if you wanted to limit only the telnet access from the specified network and leave the SSH open from all locations:

access-list 100 permit tcp 198.198.198.0 0.0.0.255 any eq 23

access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq 22

line vty 0 4

access-class 100 in

There's really nothing so special to it.

Best regards,

Peter

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sarah

"Let say i want only users on the subnet 198.198.198.0/24 can telnet into my router. How extended acl can be used here ?"

You would still only use a standard acl ie.

access-list 1 permit 198.198.198.0 0.0.0.255

An extended acl is used when you want to specify both src/dst IP and/or TCP/UDP ports but they don't make any sense in this scenario ie.

the destination IP address is not relevant here and you don't need to specify the ports.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card