Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871w performance issues

jholding09
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are trying to download ubuntu via bit torrent on our Cable internet connection.

This router is connected directly to the modem.

After a few minutes all traffic gets halted. I can console into the router and can't ping out anymore. When the torrent is running the CPU never gets above 24% on the router. We have a 20mb connection and we never get above 800KB with like 50+ seeders.

I have seen 2 different links from Cisco that quote 50mb and another quotes 12mb so I doubt we are beating up this router.

Please find the relevant information attached which shows the troubleshooting steps which I took.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not a performance problem, it's a bug, likely some data structure gets corrupted in presence of many connections.

Upgrade IOS and hope it won't happene again.

This version of IOS is supposed to be the most stable and I have tried many others and I get the same result.

Just doing normal speed tests from testmy.net and dslreports I never get over 6mb so I am guessing there is something else wrong with it.

Thanks!

The cable modem, is doing NAT also, or do you get a public IP on fa4 ?

What is the reason you reduced tcp mss to 1452 ?

How do you recover from this loss of connectivity ?

The cable modem hands out a public IP address.

I have just testing different MTU values I was messing with TCP values which didn't make any difference.

The only way to recover is with a reload. This has happened on 12.4(3) (9) and now (24). I have even tried the advanced security and advanced IP services and it still continues to happen.

Do not assume these are stable release just because someone says so.

Certain bugs go undetected or un-acknowledged by cisco until someone is persistent enough to prove his case.

I use 12.4(9)T7 on a 851w without issues, but often you have better results going backward in trying releases.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card