Advice for a non-technical person

Unanswered Question
Aug 7th, 2009

I work for company that is a cisco gold partner and I am interested in pursuing a cisco ccent cert. I have no technical background at all. Should I go straight into studying for ccent or take a class in something specific that would better prepare me for digging into ccent study. Please offer advice on the path to go. Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rob.huffman Fri, 08/07/2009 - 16:44

Hi Tom,

I really believe that with Networking studies "hands-on" is the way to go. There are many,many concepts that really come to life when actually seen in action. That being said, some people can learn much via the book study route :)

On of the best answers I have seen on this topic came from Collin in June of this year (+5 points from me Collin for your superb work here :)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Career%20Certifications&topic=Training&topicID=.ee702b3&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd35fee

Cheers! And best of luck with your studies, whatever route you choose.

Rob

tjoshie74 Sat, 08/08/2009 - 06:13

Thanks, Rob. The link you sent describes my background as well. I think it is time to dig right in.

jgagznos Mon, 08/10/2009 - 07:47

Working at WWT, you should have free access to the Partner Education Connection (PEC). Thought it might be useful for you to know that there are TONS of free training materials out there including video-on-demand courses for the CCENT / CCNA and lots more. This is a great resource to you while studying (and will probably save you some $$ in buying books)!

tjoshie74 Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:33

Thanks. I am looking into options that are offered through work.

Actions

This Discussion