cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

domain name on asa 5505

razorbakill
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but when setting up an asa 5505 for the first time, is it neccessary to enter in a domain name. I ask because although we use a local domain, we do not have a public domain presence. (ex .com, .net)

Can this just be left blank?

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Mike, you don't have to have a registered public dns for seting up domain-name in asa, you can leave it bank and should not affect in any way asa primary role of permiting or blocking traffic. The settings can also be any name reflecting your internal private dns naming if you choose to do so.

domain-name for example needs to be configured for configuring ssh access to PIX when generating rsa keys as requires domain-name settings to be any name, at least this is the case for PIX versions 6.x and prior versions, not the case in versions 7.x domain-name is not required for generating rsa keys.

There may be other reasons where domain-name is required for something to function properly but I cannot think of any right now...again generally domain-name is not required.

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks for the answer Jorge, appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card